Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The aspergers book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aspergers-book-t135512.html)

charismah 07-05-2011 08:50 PM

I had another post listed here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135028-13.htm

My son read the book called " All cats have aspergers syndrome" By Kathy Hoopmann

It is a book geared towards younger children all about aspergers.
My DH actually has aspergers and we talk about it frequently,. We also have several friends with children on all different parts of the autism spectrum.

A friend of mine came over and saw Carl under the table with our dog.....If anyone has an aspergers child you would understand that sometimes these children have high affection and attachment to animals. My DH and son do very much. She gave us the book because she knew it would be good for our family. She also has an autistic son.
After my son read it over and over for two days (also an aspergers trait) he came to us very seriously and said he thinks he has aspergers. LOL We told him we already knew..he has been happy ever since discovering this himself. He read the book out loud to all of us...all of his siblings confirmed for him that he does in fact have aspergers. That's an official diagnosis right? LOL. (Just kidding he already has one)

So I hope the title of the books helps anyone and everyone who has asked....again..geared towards little children..but beneficial to the whole family.

Thanks!
C

Blue's quilting mama 07-05-2011 09:39 PM

Thanks for sharing this info...blessings on you and your DH and son and other children!

Painiacs 07-06-2011 02:12 AM

Thanks! I've said for yrs my son is autistic! Don't know what kind but getting a diagnosis when he was in scool was impossible! Now he's almost 30 so.....

pjaco 07-06-2011 04:08 AM

I also enjoyed reading "Look me in the eye", it's a great read ! Hope you are well, we are burning up in Oklahoma !

blueangel 07-06-2011 04:21 AM

God bless you. I have a nephew who is autistic. So hard on a family.

Favorite Fabrics 07-06-2011 04:26 AM

You are so fortunate that he is willing to recognize these traits in himself! That will enable you to work with him on the skills he will need to "join the rest of the world" (if you don't mind my putting it that way).

It's EVER so much harder when they resist the truth. I won't say in public how I know... but... I know.

Susanna10 07-06-2011 09:01 AM

Thank you. I sent this to my daughter. She teaches high school students with multiple handicaps. Thought this book might be of interest to her.

suebee 07-06-2011 10:58 AM

Thank you for sharing. I did look this up on the internet the other night. Had no idea. Sounds like your sweet boy is doing very well... you are certainly blessed.

qbquilts 07-06-2011 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info on this book. I just previewed it at Amazon.com and think I'm going to buy it. It looks like my library has a copy, so I'm may get that one first. I'm pretty sure I've got Asperger's - I've thought it for years but am hesitant to go get an official diagnosis.

"And he is honest, which is great of course, but sometimes he's too honest. Yet when he tries to tell a lie, he's not very good at it." (pg. 47-48) - so me.

"And he may become a loner caught up in a world of his own," pg. 23 - again so me, since childhood.

Among other Asperger's traits, I've always felt like an outsider with my peers - still do - and have always been more comfortable with the "adults" or leaders of the group (like now, with my Sunday School teacher vs. other singles @ church) or with people younger than me (like when I babysat or work with kids now @ church).

charismah 07-06-2011 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
I also enjoyed reading "Look me in the eye", it's a great read ! Hope you are well, we are burning up in Oklahoma !

Yes..I have that book as well..I just haven't read it yet. Thanks so much!