Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   bed skirts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bed-skirts-t214529.html)

sahm4605 02-22-2013 09:32 AM

bed skirts

what fabric do you use when making the skirt for under the bed. was thinking of just getting a used one a ripping the sides off.what do you think.

charsuewilson 02-22-2013 09:47 AM

That would work, or a used, worn out sheet, but to the size of the mattress/box spring.

jgriinke 02-22-2013 09:49 AM

If you go on Pinterest, there are a couple of places that are showing how to do a bed skirt with Velcro. Or, upholstering the box spring.

linda8450 02-22-2013 09:54 AM

I used an old white fitted sheet and marked around the top with marker for placement, then sewed ruffle on the marks. Stays in place when making the bed, easy to wash and replace without alot of fussing to get it right.

mighty 02-22-2013 10:09 AM

linda8450 that is a wonderful idea!!!! Thank you!!!!

Stitchnripper 02-22-2013 10:41 AM

I was just looking in a catalog and instead of the fabric, it had elastic running around the top edge so it just wraps around the mattress. Seemed like a great idea.

Lori S 02-22-2013 10:53 AM

I gave up on the traditional bedskirt that has the fabric running across the span of the box spring. I now make a wide "waist band" of matching fabric on the top wide enough to tuck under the the mattress , I use velcro to attach/secure . Much easier than wrestling the mattress when its time to wash.

bearisgray 02-23-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5880507)
I gave up on the traditional bedskirt that has the fabric running across the span of the box spring. I now make a wide "waist band" of matching fabric on the top wide enough to tuck under the the mattress , I use velcro to attach/secure . Much easier than wrestling the mattress when its time to wash.

This is what my DIL asked me to do - they have a water bed - and she didn't want to wrestle with it.

grandmahoney 02-24-2013 04:52 AM

I also use a fitted sheet to make my bed skirts. It is the best way I have fount to make a bed skirt. They stay in place which is one of my biggest complaints about bed skirts.

Snooze2978 02-24-2013 05:27 AM

My mother had one of those on her bed with the elastic running around the top of the edge. It kept slipping under the top mattress every time she went to change her sheets. As she's 86 now, the top mattress is too heavy for her to lift to retrieve the skirt. I'm making her a new one from an old one I had for the spare bedroom. I'm using an old bottom sheet, marked for velcros. I separated each side (3) so all she has to do it remove the side that needs washed. Plus having it in 3 pieces keeps them from twisting so much in the washer. Just my take on it.

Suz in Iowa