Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   bERNINA FAMILY MEMBER DIED (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bernina-family-member-died-t120045.html)

pinebeltquilter 05-01-2011 07:26 AM

I have had a Bernina 1031 since 1993, and have sewed everything from quilts to christening gowns with it. Well, one day it just jammed while I was sewing and the 2 repairmen that I have taken it to diagnosed it as a slipped rotary. To fix it would cost approx. $350.00 and then if anything else went wrong, I could have a lot of money tied up in it. They both said Bernina had gone up on their parts so much until I could buy another brand for less than what it would cost to fix this one. I love my machine and and I'm so disappointed in Bernina for the drastic increase in parts until I probably will never own another one. Very Disappointed!!!!

loves_2_quilt 05-01-2011 07:34 AM

I have a Bernina 930 that my mother bought in about 1995-1996. I just had the motor replaced for just under $400. The Bernina dealership I had mine repaired at told me it was worth the money to repair because a comparable machine would cost me $800 and up.
D

chairjogger 05-01-2011 07:36 AM

our machines.. ha ha. agree.. we count on them so very much ! It's our dinner ! Good luck !

Gramie bj 05-01-2011 07:44 AM

In 1972 I bought a new Bernina in 2001 after many long years of service cloths for 3 kids numerous horse blankets, jean repares, upolstry project, quilts and anything else that needed sewing the motor died a smokie death. The Bernina repairman said Bernina no longer made that motor and he could only get me a factory rebild but it would not be under a warrenty. Bernina only warrenty new products. The rebuilt would cost me 600 plus labor. bought a new machine (not a Bernina)

Candace 05-01-2011 08:01 AM

I would choose to repair it. For that price , yes you could get a machine made of plastic now. But, I would spend the money and keep the better built machine.

Jan in VA 05-01-2011 09:57 AM

No way would I give up my Bernie 1031!! Worth nearly any cost to repair, I feel. I have an 830 and an 807 from the 1970s, very similar, and all are running great. If you are afraid to fix it, perhaps look into purchasing a great condition 830.

Jan in VA

franie 05-01-2011 10:01 AM

A friend had her old Bernina (830) literally fall apart one day. She got it repaired but bought another Bernina that does everything except make coffee. I can only guess what it would cost to repair the new one--they are not made in my opinion like the old ones were. But then neither are the Vikings. My Janome does everything I need it to do.

quiltnmom 05-01-2011 10:08 AM

I would probably put the money into fixing the machine. I recently bought a new Bernina 230PE, a few bells not a lot of whistles. It was $1500 but I love it especially as a main machine. I looked at less expensive machines but they are made of plastic now. I could take one finger and give it a little push and about knock it over. Now I may get one of those less expensive machines as a back up but I love my Nina!

Boopers 05-01-2011 12:09 PM

I have a 1080, Been using it hard for a lot of years. Had to have the foot pedal rebuilt and now it is getting the mother-board rebuilt. I figure I will have about $600 into it but I think it will be worth it. I always got her yearly check-up and servicing. LOVE my Bernie.

Suzy 05-01-2011 01:01 PM

I sympathize with you, my 20 year old viking just up and quit. If they could find a mother board for it it would still run about 600.00 to 800.00 dollars. My d husband said, get a new machine that one doesn't owe you a penny. It's just that my viking has been apart of me for so long there is an attachment I haven't quite let go yet. I do have other machines, but they will never be what that viking has been. I told the dealer, I'm taking her home and she will go with me to my grave. He probably thinks I'm nuts, but oh well I didn't buy another machine Yet.

Good Luck

Suzy