Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   BiPAP questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bipap-questions-t148066.html)

Novice.for.now 08-26-2011 11:08 AM

There has been a very interesting thread on CPAPs and now I would like to ask about BiPAPs. I have been on a CPAP for about a year. Last night I had a second sleep study and it started with me using a BiPAP. I had a horrible time with it. I felt it restricted my breathing and I could not stay asleep. Kept waking with a feeling of panic. Later into the night I woke and realized I was breathing easily and then drifted back to sleep. When I woke this morning I felt so relaxed and was still breathing easily. The Techie told me that he had switched me back to CPAP during the night because I was fighting the BiPAP so much. They did increase me from 12 to 14 pounds of pressure.

Have any of you made the switch successfully? At this stage I want to stay with the CPAP. And included that in my notes about the sleep study for the doctor.

Lacelady 08-26-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
There has been a very interesting thread on CPAPs and now I would like to ask about BiPAPs. I have been on a CPAP for about a year. Last night I had a second sleep study and it started with me using a BiPAP. I had a horrible time with it. I felt it restricted my breathing and I could not stay asleep. Kept waking with a feeling of panic. Later into the night I woke and realized I was breathing easily and then drifted back to sleep. When I woke this morning I felt so relaxed and was still breathing easily. The Techie told me that he had switched me back to CPAP during the night because I was fighting the BiPAP so much. They did increase me from 12 to 14 pounds of pressure.

Have any of you made the switch successfully? At this stage I want to stay with the CPAP. And included that in my notes about the sleep study for the doctor.

I've been on Cpap for 8 years now - never heard of Bipap - what is the difference?

Novice.for.now 08-26-2011 12:45 PM

I found this brief description on the web. There are some descriptions a whole lot more complicated. I'm not sure I really understand it either, but I didn't do well with the BiPAP. Or I guess it can be written as Bipap.

Cpap Machine
A Cpap machine provides continuous air pressure at a medically suggested level to treat various types of sleep apnea. Because the air is continually flowing from a mask, it forces the throat to stay open to prevent episodes of sleep apnea.

Bipap Machine
A Bipap machine has different levels of pressure during inhalation and exhalation. This makes it easier for people to adjust to the machine. Because of its easier application, a Bipap is often a better method for people suffering from congestive heart failure, neuromuscular diseases or various lung disorders.

Annaleehunter 08-26-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I found this brief description on the web. There are some descriptions a whole lot more complicated. I'm not sure I really understand it either, but I didn't do well with the BiPAP. Or I guess it can be written as Bipap.

Cpap Machine
A Cpap machine provides continuous air pressure at a medically suggested level to treat various types of sleep apnea. Because the air is continually flowing from a mask, it forces the throat to stay open to prevent episodes of sleep apnea.

Bipap Machine
A Bipap machine has different levels of pressure during inhalation and exhalation. This makes it easier for people to adjust to the machine. Because of its easier application, a Bipap is often a better method for people suffering from congestive heart failure, neuromuscular diseases or various lung disorders.

A bipap machine helps you breathe in and out. A cpap machine breathes in for you, even when you don't. They are very difficult to adjust to either way! BTW, been a nurse for 15 years!

Lacelady 08-26-2011 02:23 PM

Well I had no problem adjusting to my Cpap once I got a mask that covered both my nose and mouth. The first one I had, (nose only) was no good at all, I just slept with my mouth open!

Novice.for.now 08-26-2011 06:29 PM

Has anyone switched from Cpap to Bipap???

Linda B 08-27-2011 09:26 PM

You might want to investigate the APAP machines. They are like the CPAP, but lower the pressure a little bit when you exhale. The pressure is set for a range, for example, mine is 9 to 15. This means it will function at the lowest level necessary to keep me from having an apnea. I have never used anything other than APAP, but know that many former cpap users are really glad they switched.