Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Birkenstock question???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/birkenstock-question-t179898.html)

theoldgraymare 02-19-2012 07:42 PM

I wore nothing but Birks for years. Eventually those contours created such painful callouses that I had to give them up.

Sadiemae 02-19-2012 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by veronajules (Post 4990093)
The soft beds don't give the support like the cork ones.

Thanks so much! That was what I needed to know.

Sadiemae 02-19-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare (Post 4990143)
I wore nothing but Birks for years. Eventually those contours created such painful callouses that I had to give them up.

Bummer! I would be in big trouble if that happened to me. I haven't worn anything but Birks since '84. They were the answer to my prayers. No more wearing shoes a mile too long to get them wide enough.

Sadiemae 02-19-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4990034)
New soles???? ... heck there won't be any support left in the sandal after 9 years! Time for new shoes.

You are so right! There comes a time when they are just worn out. Usually my ankles only hurt one or two nights a week. The last month I have had pain every single night, it takes hours to go to sleep. That is one of the reasons I think I have to have a new pair of shoes. (I can't afford the experimenal surgery on my ankles, especially when the Ortho doctor doesn't know if it would even help.)

I wish there was a store to go to try them on here, because I cannot afford to drive 120 miles to try on a pair of shoes.

Thanks everyone!

SuzzyQ 02-20-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae (Post 4990266)
Thanks so much! That was what I needed to know.

I too wear Birks all the time. I had to switch to the soft footbeds because the regular footbeds were too hard for my poor tender tootsies. The regular foobed is too hard - I used to be able to break them (or my feet) in by wearing 20 minutes at a time but no more. I've had foot surgery for a bunion and my big toe veers to the right (on left foot). They don't make shoes like that. I am very happy with the soft foodbed - certainly seems to be very supportive and I've had them well over a year of wearing them most of the time. They may not last 9 years - but none of my other Birks have lasted that long.
As to getting new footbeds attached to the uppers - it will cost nearly as much as new Birks. I've found that is is best for me to buy a pair every year and rotate wearing them.

glowworm 02-20-2012 07:32 AM

If your present bircs style suits you stay with it. Footprints.com and Birkenstock Central are good links. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Nina Baker 02-20-2012 07:50 AM

I would check with a Birkenstock store. I bought a pair years ago, and was told they could replace each part as needed, and I wouldn't need a new pair. Ever, was the implication. My lifestyle changed and I did wear them out? Anyway don't have them anymore.
It's worth a try!

Nell Dwyer 02-20-2012 10:14 AM

I also had Birkenstock, soft bed-now I am hooked on my daughters Dansko's-they are much better than Birkenstock, fit better, and no use in getting the cork replaced-I did this, cost many $$$$ and never fit right after that-that is why I wear Dansko's now-they are a few $$ too-but no cork, and sole lasts forever-all our nurses wear them now at the hospital-Croc's are junk to us.

IdahoSandy 02-20-2012 10:18 AM

Sadiemae, I started wearing these a good 20 years ago because of back problems. Think either regular or soft footbed would work well. Soft footbed is higher in price. I get mine from QVC.com I have to get a shoe size smaller because QVC's seem to run longer in length. I just buy their regular shoes, not soft footbed. I have wide feet too and like it because you can adjust the straps. Back doesn't hurt when wearing them. The footbed is just softer on soft footbed.
IdahoSandy

Sadiemae 02-20-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nell Dwyer (Post 4991809)
I also had Birkenstock, soft bed-now I am hooked on my daughters Dansko's-they are much better than Birkenstock, fit better, and no use in getting the cork replaced-I did this, cost many $$$$ and never fit right after that-that is why I wear Dansko's now-they are a few $$ too-but no cork, and sole lasts forever-all our nurses wear them now at the hospital-Croc's are junk to us.

I would love to wear Dansko's. My sister works in a hospital and wears them all of the time. There is noooooo way they would ever be wide enough and short.