Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Broken toe - will it ever heal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/broken-toe-will-ever-heal-t134351.html)

nance-ell 06-30-2011 06:13 PM

My foot in motion slammed into an immovable object (the tire stop in my garage). :thumbdown: It was the day of my family reunion, so I limp around, get the car loaded and head out. The pain wasn't really all that bad that day. Then I take my shoes and socks off that evening and it's already turning a nice deep shade of purple. Next day, all my toes are purple and 1/2 of my foot too! The bruising is almost all gone, but I'm still limping. It's my little toe - still swollen and so, so sore. :( I haven't had it x-rayed. Not sure that it's worth spending the money. Just wondering how long it's going to be before I can walk normally. Anyone else done such a crazy thing?

bearisgray 06-30-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
My foot in motion slammed into an immovable object (the tire stop in my garage). :thumbdown: It was the day of my family reunion, so I limp around, get the car loaded and head out. The pain wasn't really all that bad that day. Then I take my shoes and socks off that evening and it's already turning a nice deep shade of purple. Next day, all my toes are purple and 1/2 of my foot too! The bruising is almost all gone, but I'm still limping. It's my little toe - still swollen and so, so sore. :( I haven't had it x-rayed. Not sure that it's worth spending the money. Just wondering how long it's going to be before I can walk normally. Anyone else done such a crazy thing?

It might be dislocated or something - I think you should have it checked out -

craftybear 06-30-2011 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ouch, you might need to get it xrayed, take care

Candace 06-30-2011 06:15 PM

I've done that. Ouch.

alikat110 06-30-2011 06:15 PM

Yes. And did not waste my money either. It has been awhile, but think it took 3weeks to heal. You need to rest it some if possible.

Lisanne 06-30-2011 06:16 PM

I sure would have a doctor look at it, at least. They won't x-ray it unless they could treat it somehow.

I'd stay OFF it or get crutches, though, no matter what.

QuiltingJaguar 06-30-2011 06:18 PM

You best have your doc check it out. I taped my broken toe to the one next to it. Keeps it from moving around, stable. Baby your foot, elevate it when you sit down.

TonnieLoree 06-30-2011 06:18 PM

I did this myself except on my big toe. Everyone kept asking me if I went to the doctor. It takes time for it to heal. Don't pay for an x-ray only to confirm what you already know. Besides that, how would it be treated? A "toe splint"?

I have felt your pain. This is just a matter of time. Yikes, I was working as a waitress at the time.

oatw13 06-30-2011 06:19 PM

OUCH! I had my whole foot turn purple and swell up when I did something similar and it wasn't broken. But, my mom did that and hers was broken and never healed right.

I would have it looked at, sometimes they can help or have you tape them together or something. If it's broken and doesn't heal right, it may be a nuisance for the rest of your life.

QuiltMania 06-30-2011 06:19 PM

Done that. It took several weeks to heal. Put a little bit of cotton between the injured toe and the one next to it. Use medical tape to tape it to the one next to it and then a couple times around the foot to immobilize the toe. That's what the doctor did for my DS when he broke his toe.