Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Brother Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/brother-embroidery-machine-t170312.html)

Chilly Mac 11-29-2011 03:06 PM

Brother Embroidery Machine

I am getting the Brother PE 780D embroidery machine (similiar I think to the 770) and am wondering what is the best brand of embroidery thread to use. Can anyone help? Thanks.

ann31039 11-29-2011 06:27 PM

my sister and i got some starter sets off amazon and they are doing fine. don't try metallics until you have practiced with "normal" thread first. metallics require a learning curve and can be aggravating. thread socks help. and i've been using a needle for metallic thread with everything. very large eye and easy to thread. seems to work well.

Crqltr 11-29-2011 06:34 PM

I have a lot of diff brand threads but use mostly sulky. Lots of colors, joanns has sales often and quite a few companies use sulky for their patterns so the thread # is easy to follow for shading and such.

LindaDeeter 11-29-2011 07:30 PM

I have a Janome 300e and would love to find a Machine Embroidery Board ... just like this Quilting Board. Anybody know of one? I have learned so much here!

kathdavis 11-29-2011 08:03 PM

I ordered my first large kit of 50 spools from online for about $1.00 a spool. That gave me a great start with a lot of color choices. Now I pick up Coats and Clark embroidery thread at JoAnn's when they have 50% off.

kathdavis 11-29-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by LindaDeeter (Post 4734551)
I have a Janome 300e and would love to find a Machine Embroidery Board ... just like this Quilting Board. Anybody know of one? I have learned so much here!

Have you tried Sew Forum? They have a blog and board and free designs that their members share.

Nanamoms 11-29-2011 08:35 PM

Also embrlibrary.com has some great articles. Kenny is the embroidery guru who writes the articles.

I use Metro, Mettler and sometmes Sulky but not the rayon. My Brother PE700II hates the rayon thread. I also use Organ Large Eye Needles in 75/11 sharps and ballpoints depending on the fabric to be embroidered on.

lalaland 11-29-2011 09:32 PM

I use Isacord thread but for use in my classroom I purchase the thread kits from ThreadArt. The kits are really reasonable, and the selection is really good, and we've never had a problem with it. For metallics I like Superior Thread.

jitkaau 11-30-2011 04:55 AM

There are a number that I use with success: Robison Anton, Fus Fus, Isacord, Aurifil, Mettler, Madiera and Sulky.The cheap stuff is not worth wasting your time with as it keeps breaking all of the time and does not have a long shelf life.

lalaland 11-30-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms (Post 4734807)
Also embrlibrary.com has some great articles. Kenny is the embroidery guru who writes the articles.

I use Metro, Mettler and sometmes Sulky but not the rayon. My Brother PE700II hates the rayon thread. I also use Organ Large Eye Needles in 75/11 sharps and ballpoints depending on the fabric to be embroidered on.

Interesting you should say that, my Brother hates the rayon thread too!