Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bummer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bummer-t87272.html)

Cyn 01-03-2011 06:58 AM

Thanksgiving, my hubby bought a 60 inch fancy flat tv to go in my sewing room so we can be together -quilt and watch football or movies. Last night in the middle of the game, it just quit!!! Called the repair place and they will have to come out and fix it. Now it's not the end of the world but when you spend that kind of money, wouldn't you think it would work longer than that??? Our old set in another part of the house, has worked fine for 8 years- never even a service call. It weighs a ton and isn't flat or fancy so I quess that tells me once again that new isn't always better. We rarely buy newer and bigger and this seems to prove us right! Thanks for letting me vent a little. Maybe a little vacation from our together time is due:)] Now if I could figure out how to get the cats to stay with him for a bit- lol

dkabasketlady 01-03-2011 07:03 AM

They definitely don't make things to last very long anymore. They want you in debt all the time. Sorry about the new TV quitting already. I do hope that it can be fixed easily and cheap! It's still under warranty, right?

joan_quilts 01-03-2011 07:11 AM

I was 13 when my parents first bought a color tv. That was in 1979. That tv lasted over 20 years! It was American made and never had anything go wrong with it. Now, you are lucky to get a tv or computer to last for 5 years. I want American made stuff again!

sandpat 01-03-2011 07:15 AM

Oh no....hopefully it will be an "easy" (meaning cheap) fix. I agree, our older sets lasted for years. I just replaced my 24 yr. old set with one for $50 bucks. Now just how long do you think it will last?

When we bought our new "big" tv...the guy told us to expect only 8 yrs. playing it the hours my DH does. So I told him that if he stuck around, he could buy a new one then :lol:!

donnajean 01-03-2011 07:17 AM

My main TV is 6 1/2 yrs. old with no problems. I'm hoping it lasts a few more years, as I agree that newer is not better. When I got a new refrigerator in 2008, they told me not to expect it to last the the 24 yrs. the 1st one did. I also opted not bo purcase a new washer & dryer because of all the touchy electronics they now have. Everything is computerized now & much more likely to break down & more costly to repair.

Ramona Byrd 01-03-2011 07:42 AM

I have a TV we got in 1999, and it still plays. I rarely watch
it any more, this board takes up a lot of time.

nativetexan 01-03-2011 07:44 AM

boy, last night i was watching t.v. adn it stopped-Com cast does that. like watching a film on your own machine at home and it goes haywire. well then my t.v. popped so loudly i thought it blew up. Nope, just Com cast doing something again. i changed channels and all was well. whew! scared me almost out of my chair though.

amandasgramma 01-03-2011 08:13 AM

We have a 42" LCD tv in the living room. Never had a problem with it -- it's on its 7th yr. My parents bought a big 60" or so tv. It has rear-projection -- got it from Sears. They've had nothing but trouble with it. I think it's had something like 8 service calls. They bought it 10 yrs ago. I know the rear-projection ones have a lot of trouble. We have 3 LCD tvs and never had a problem...in fact, the one in the sewing room has traveled to Texas and back in the RV and to Arizona and back. It rides laying down on the bed. :) :) It's a tough one, all right...

maryel 01-03-2011 08:43 AM

I know that the new flat screens don't last nearly as long as the "old TV's" but that is ridiculous to say the least! Hope that you get it straightened out soon. Could it have been a lemon and they will have to exchange it for a new one? Good luck.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-03-2011 09:21 AM

Hope it gets fixed quickly and cheaply!
Don't know what to tell you about the cats. I have the same problem lol