Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Caring for a loved one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/caring-loved-one-t61311.html)

just4jo 08-25-2010 11:32 AM

It has been almost 10 yrs. since losing my mom to cancer. She was strong and brave as well as feisty. She convinced herself she didn't have cancer for 27 yrs. It worked! She loved to crochet,write peotry, and spend time with family. It is a LARGE family at that!
Caring for her helped me to realize that caregiving came naturally to me. So it has been my career ever since then. I love what I do and brighten faces that were darkened by sadness!
If you know of someone facing this challenging task of caring for someone or needing care, please go to ckshouston.com
Based out of Houston,Tx, but giving consults via e-mail or telephone. We all need a break from even something we love to do!

Joanie Owen 08-25-2010 11:54 AM

What a wonderful calling. God Bless you.

just4jo 08-25-2010 11:57 AM

Thank you Joanie Owen! Have a good day!

Polly C 08-25-2010 01:22 PM

I cared for my mom in my home for 10 years. My only sis lived 800 miles away & both my daughters lived out of state and worked so I had no break. Boy, could I have used you. Mom died April 09 & I still look in her room to check on her every time I walk by!! God bless all caregivers!!

kylenstevesmom 08-25-2010 01:53 PM

I just got home from looking after my mom for 6 weeks... The 1st month I drove her 4 hours round trip to the cancer clinic and back....and after that was done, I would come in every day from the cabin and check on her, get her dressed if I had to and take her where ever she wanted to go.

Now that I'm home and things have slowed down a bit, I realize just how much I miss my mom (she lives in SK and I live in ON) and how glad I am that I did this!

I am a nurses kid... I think in someways care giving comes naturally to us!

Theresa

just4jo 08-25-2010 03:04 PM

Thank you Polly and Theresa for sharing your moms with us. Take care!

martha jo 08-25-2010 03:50 PM

I cared for my husband for almost ten years. At times it was hard but he did not spend a single day in a nursing home and I would take him back in any shape just to have another minute with him.

just4jo 08-25-2010 04:03 PM

You are wonderful martha jo! It is hard, yet very rewarding!

theoldgraymare 08-25-2010 06:11 PM

My husband has cerebral palsy and is no longer able to do much of anything for himself. I retired from teaching when it became apparent I needed to be available 24/7 instead of just 15/7. As his sole caregiver, I truly appreciate the need to have a break even though you love the person you take care of with all your heart.

just4jo 08-26-2010 04:21 AM

So true Virginia! Have a great day and remember to do something for yourself!