Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cat and Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cat-featherweight-t121642.html)

RCOGGINS 05-08-2011 03:00 AM

One night I was sewing with the featherweight on the featherweight table and the thread kept breaking so I did all the things you normally do when it keeps happening besides throwing it over the porch in the yard. The next morning I get up and low and behold it runs fine until I hear pop! Yep the thread breaks again, again and again. Hummmm could I have a faulty needle? Changed the needle and it sews fine then pop again. I could sew about 10 inches before breaking and at this point I was bent out of shape with this machine----until I happen to notice Hope my rescue cat underneath watching and with it claw whapping the bobbin area and breaking the thread while it was sewing. This did save the machine from getting tossed big time as I was at my witt's end of trying to figure out what was making it break thread. How I loved my Hope and wished I still had him with me today. So watch your cat if the thread starts to break!!!! How I wish I could find the picture of this but one day WHEN I get organized I will0

psychonurse 05-08-2011 03:05 AM

Now thats a funny story.

jeaninmaine 05-08-2011 03:09 AM

I can just picture this. They do love anything that moves and makes noise, don't they. God bless them. But how happy you must have been to know that your Featherweight didn't have anything wrong with it. I'm sorry he isn't with you anymore, they are such bundles of love. I can't sit down without a cat (or dog) in my lap.

grann of 6 05-08-2011 03:50 AM

That is just too funny. I don't have cats, but have a
Great Dane and a Rottie. I have put a sewing machine up in my bedroom so I can do some sewing while watching TV. My main sewing is in the basement sewing studio, and the dogs don't go to the basement. When I sew in the bedroom, the Dane comes over and puts her head in my lap to tell me she doesn't want me sewing. If I don't respond, then she will nudge my elbow. If I still don't respond she will start barking at me nonstop till I pay attention to her. She likes to be the center of attention and won't take no for an answer.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-08-2011 04:19 AM

Awwww that's such a cute story, though bittersweet for sure.
Thanks for sharing it :)

LoriEl 05-08-2011 04:53 AM

My cat trys that too. I guess if it moves they have to investigate! This is my first cat (had her almost 2 yrs now) and I found out what they mean with that saying "curosity killed the cat"!

Murphy 05-08-2011 06:09 AM

Hilarious. Aren't cats wonderful!! Thank you for sharing.

justwannaquilt 05-08-2011 07:03 AM

My cat likes to chew the thread in half between the spool and the thread guide! I haven't started sewing without realizing it, YET, however it is just as aggrivating.

jmabby 05-08-2011 08:19 AM

You have a wannabe quilter that you did'nt know of in your family

soccertxi 05-08-2011 05:14 PM

I used to find lots of pins under my chair at the sewing machine. I am pretty careful about using a pin cushion as I like to go barefoot in the sewing room. One day, I caught my tortiouseshell cat,Rags, picking them out of my pin cushion and dropping them on the floor! She is 18 now and not as mischievous as she used to be. Must be the 4 dogs that follow her around! They SNITCH!