Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cat Question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cat-question-t71786.html)

craftiladi 10-23-2010 06:09 AM

I adopted a little female kitty last yr. She had kittens, I kept one and got them both fixed on the same day. Now mama kitty wants nothing to do w/ her son. Before getting fixed they were best of buds. I feel so bad as the baby just doesn't understand why his mama no longer wants to play.
Any suggestions or tips would be apprecaited.

sewjoyce 10-23-2010 06:19 AM

How long has it been since surgery? If it was really recent, momma cat may not feel up to playing yet....just give her some time. :D

oatw13 10-23-2010 06:22 AM

You may not be able to do much. In my experience, some cats have a complete personality transformation after being fixed and also after having kittens. With the cats I have had, once that happened, they never returned to their "old" selves.

Good luck!

SherriB 10-23-2010 06:23 AM

If it has been recent, it might be the smell from the anesthsia or surgery that is putting her off. My kitties have done that to each other when they had their surgeries. Some kitties are very sensitive to new smells.

Jan in VA 10-23-2010 06:54 AM

It's possible that the male is maturing and the naturual order will be to have the female step back a bit. I'm betting she'll come around once he gets thru his "teenage" years :-D

We had a death of the youngest female barn cat this summer, she was pregnant. The other three - 2 males (one, her sire) and the female mother - were obviously affected by the status quo change, and for nearly 3 weeks were generally ignoring of each other. It was so obvious they were grieving, as we all were. Then slowly things got back to normal and they all ate from the same dish each night, palled around together, took naps near each other. Now the season has changed and the non-sire male is on the outs with the other two who are more dominant at feeding time. I'm betting it'll pass.

Jan in VA

doxieloverred 10-23-2010 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
I adopted a little female kitty last yr. She had kittens, I kept one and got them both fixed on the same day. Now mama kitty wants nothing to do w/ her son. Before getting fixed they were best of buds. I feel so bad as the baby just doesn't understand why his mama no longer wants to play.
Any suggestions or tips would be apprecaited.

With her hormone levels dropped because of the spay, she no longer feels it necessary to bond with the male. He may be her son, but they would not have hesitated to mate. It's a reproductive thing--survival of the species. They will be friends again but probably in a different capacity. Thanks for having them spayed and neutered!

sandpat 10-24-2010 05:59 AM

You did the right thing in getting them spayed and neutered..thanks. Things will get back to what will be the new "normal" soon. Cats are very sensitive to smell and change of any kind. They just need time. They'll be fine. Just give them both lots of love during their recoveries.

butterflywing 10-24-2010 09:10 AM

try this:

put a little cologne on yourself and let her smell it on you for two days or so. then put some on him where can't lick it, behind his neck. she might associate him with you and accept him. if it doesn't work right away keep trying for a while. if it doesn't work after 10 - 12 days, she just doesn't may not like him anymore.

Tracy50 10-24-2010 09:21 AM

Cats are very interesting and diverse as people. Their personalities change quite often throughout their whole lives. I've always had at least one if not more cats and their personalits do change when they get spayed/neutered(thank you), but give them a couple/few weeks to months and they will probably come up with a new relationship. since she was spayed, she's not a moma anymore and he's not a son anymore it's as if they're meeting for the first time (almost). I guess I'm saying the same thing as the others; therefore, I'll do ya'll a favor and shutup!...LOL! Like people, give them time and u will be rewarded.
Tracy50

Catlady 10-24-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
If it has been recent, it might be the smell from the anesthsia or surgery that is putting her off. My kitties have done that to each other when they had their surgeries. Some kitties are very sensitive to new smells.

ditto. mine did that after surgeries.