Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Christmas tree no-sew ornaments (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/christmas-tree-no-sew-ornaments-t259424.html)

Roberta 01-09-2015 06:35 AM

Christmas tree no-sew ornaments

I've seen video's like this before but it's usually just a person going quickly through the motions of making there without really showing us how it's done. This site was in one of my emails this morning and I thought I'd share so we can begin our projects for next year.

http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2012...ts-no-sew.html

I was able to purchase the Styrofoam balls on clearance at Wal-Mart.

Diannia 01-09-2015 11:56 AM

These are on my "to-do" list for this year. My plan/goal is to make a few ornaments each month (same pattern-multiple ornaments each month if that makes sense). All the ornaments will be sewing/crocheting/knitting/emboridery themed and go on a tree I'm putting up in my sewing studio next Christmas. I have a group of ladies that come over twice a month and they are interested in doing it as well! I'm not sure what month this 1 will be for yet.

quiltingcandy 01-10-2015 06:17 PM

You need to stock up on straight pins. I it takes a bout 150 dressmaker pins. You want the dressmaker because they have a larger head of the pin and does not go thru the fabric when you pull it down. I make at least 100 of them back in the early '90's. They are so much fun - I would go so far as to say addictive because each one gets prettier than the last.

I also used the smaller balls and made ornaments using pastels and hung them on the "Easter" tree.

I still have tons of ribbons and lace, not to mention the fabric cut into squares thinking some day I will make more.

And you definitely want to use a thimble to help push those pins in. At first it's not a big deal but after a while your fingers do get tender.

Grannyh67 01-11-2015 07:04 AM

This looks like something I would like to do, think I will make some for gifts for Christmas next year as well as for myself.

Geri B 01-11-2015 07:16 AM

Went to Walmart yesterday and picked up a pack of 6 on clearance....going to see if guild is interested.......
Question: when you make a smaller than 3" ball are the squares cut smaller? Going to use my GO for cutting. Today's project......

SherriB 01-11-2015 02:15 PM

Thank you for posting this!! I hope to try and make some for Christmas next year.

Geri B 01-11-2015 04:47 PM

Well I made one earlier this evening...it was fun, but I was all thumbs at first....now have the " hang" of it.....there are 5 more balls in the pack I bought.....but have go to Walmart or michaels for more straight pins!

quiltingcandy 01-13-2015 12:17 AM

When I made the smaller balls I used 2 inch squares. For the three inch balls I used 2.5 inch squares.

The other things I did - I would put a square flat on the ball and then start pinning the the triangles down because sometimes you can see the styrofoam between the triangles. And I embellished with ruffled lace and ribbon. Last but not least I got decorative pins and used those in the center. (Mine are put away for next year, otherwise I would post pictures.)

We have a place here called Upholstery Fabric Outlet (UFO) and bought the dressmaker pins by the pound. It may sound crazy but it was amazing how many boxes my friend and I went thru. When we started the box of pins cost $3.99 a box. But we bought so many they upped the cost to over $15.00. I haven't looked for them lately - someone on the QB said the pins are available at Wawak.com for a reasonable price.

Have fun!

toverly 01-13-2015 07:35 AM

I would make the fabric squares larger. An don't store them in your garage over the summer. Believe it or not, styrofoam balls shrink, not evenly. So when I pulled them out of the attic this year, several pins are showing along with raw edges. But they are beautiful on the tree.