Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Clothing Sewers "rufflers" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clothing-sewers-rufflers-t194285.html)

MaggieBB 07-11-2012 07:32 AM

Clothing Sewers "rufflers"

Hi Gals & Guys
I"ve been sewing, quilting for many, many years lately have been making aprons, doing lots of ruffles, was looking to buy a ruffler to make the job go quicker, have any of you used one of these, are they worth he money and finally are the faster than gathering by hand?

grandma nurse 07-11-2012 09:43 AM

Yes, yes buy a ruffler. I have one, generic brand, and it is so much fun just putting your fabric under it and getting a beautiful even ruffle.

nannyrick 07-11-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by grandma nurse (Post 5356352)
Yes, yes buy a ruffler. I have one, generic brand, and it is so much fun just putting your fabric under it and getting a beautiful even ruffle.

Yes, I agree. You will not be sorry. Good luck.

QuiltE 07-11-2012 03:33 PM

Here's a ruffling trick, for those without a ruffler ........

Use dental tape, and wind the start of it around a pin to keep it in place.
With a wide zig zag stitch, zig zag over the dental tape, all the way along where you want your ruffle.
Be careful to not catch the dental tape.
Now just pull the dental floss to create the ruffle ... make sure that start of the floss is well secured or OOPS!!!

Fast and slick .... and once the stitching to secure is done, you can remove the dental tape if you wish!

piepatch 07-11-2012 03:37 PM

By all means buy a ruffler! They are all well worth the money.

Ruby the Quilter 07-11-2012 03:54 PM

I have a ruffler and it took some practice to get he size of ruffles/pleats I wanted. Worth the money!

MaggieBB 07-12-2012 03:54 AM

Thank you or the advice, I ordered one, am impintly awaiting its arrival. Always go here for good advice.

Scakes 07-13-2012 03:50 AM

Have fun with your ruffler. I like using mine. I used to have some samples of ruffles I made using different settings. Sure came in handy when I wanted a certain amount of ruffling and could look at my samples and know what setting to use. They seem to have disappeared tho. I may have to do some more.

jitkaau 07-13-2012 05:24 AM

I find it very useful. I can add a ruffle to a pillow sham in one action if i use my serger but the ruffler also gathers evenly and one doesn't have to spend time redistributing the gathers after hoping the thread doesn't break whilst you are doing so.

gmcsewer 07-13-2012 06:00 AM

A ruffler saves so much time and the ruffles are evenly spaced. The little numbers on the place where the rounded point thing comes up are 1, 6, 12,*. These refer to the number of stitches between tucks. If you do a sample piece, say 6 inches and then run it through the ruffler at a desired setting, and then measure the seam edge, you can figure a ratio from your beginning fabric to the finished piece. If it measures 3 inches your strip of fabric is 50% of the beginning piece. Then either change the # or adjust the length of your stitches to get a different ratio. In my senior year of high school, I made myself a formal with a gathered skirt of taffeta with two layers of net all gathered with the ruffler, Then I cut 3 inche stips of netting and gathered them and sewed them on the skirt at about hip level.This is when I really learned to use the ruffler. If you have plenty of material, you can just set the ruffler for the amount of fullness and just keep sewing on the strips until you get the necessary length.