Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Clutter's Last Stand - Book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clutters-last-stand-book-t141143.html)

bearisgray 07-29-2011 10:27 AM

Clutter's Last Stand by Don Aslett is a great book for helping one recognize and deal with one's clutter/stuff (among others available)

What I like about this particular one - the sections are short - the illustrations are funny - and he makes getting rid of unwanted/unneeded stuff into a virtue!

There comes a time when too much of anything becomes a burden - and no longer a pleasure.

And much as I hate to admit it, sewing supplies and fabrics are in that category for me.

crafty_linda_b 07-29-2011 10:33 AM

Bearisgray I can totally relate to this. My DH told me the other day I am bordering on being a "hoarder" I hate to admit it but he's right. I need to make a vow to NOT buy any more fabric, patterns or tools until I clean out some of what I have. I am thinking of packing up alot of my extra fabrics and donating it to the project Linus group that meets at my LQS. That way I know it will benefit some deserving child. Then I need to concentrate on my UFO projects that need to be completed!! Would someone PLEASE get a cattle prod out and give me a blast in my backside to get me moooovin' *LOL*
crafty_linda_b

TonnieLoree 07-29-2011 10:38 AM

Perhaps this should be on a required reading list before anyone decides to become a quilter?

bj 07-29-2011 10:40 AM

The trick for me was moving from a 5 bedroom house, to a 3 bedroom townhouse to a 2 bedroom patio home in 3 years. That'll force you to rethink what's important and not so much. By the third move, my clothes almost didn't make the cut! I learned a whole new meaning for the word brutal. :-D :-D

butterflies5518 07-29-2011 10:48 AM

A co-worker mentioned she is going clothes shopping for the best deals and all I could think about was fabric at my LQS on sale for 30% off tomorrow!

Mousie 07-29-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Clutter's Last Stand by Don Aslett is a great book for helping one recognize and deal with one's clutter/stuff (among others available)

What I like about this particular one - the sections are short - the illustrations are funny - and he makes getting rid of unwanted/unneeded stuff into a virtue!

There comes a time when too much of anything becomes a burden - and no longer a pleasure.

And much as I hate to admit it, sewing supplies and fabrics are in that category for me.

ohh, how interesting...I think I have one of his books.
I'll have to come back to this, later. thanks!!!

amma 07-29-2011 11:38 AM

Thank you for sharing this book with us :D:D:D

Robinlee 07-29-2011 11:42 AM

I have all three of his books dealing with clutter to cleaning. Read them in the late 80's early 90's.

bearisgray 07-29-2011 11:43 AM

It's one of the few books that I find I NEED to read every few years.

It has been around for a while - my Mom gave me a copy when it first came out -

Mom, were you trying to tell me something then?

luvnquilt 07-29-2011 11:58 AM

What an appropriate topic for me to read right now, I was just organizing my "office" where I keep my stuff for sewing (garments and quilts), scrapbooking, ancestry and spare bedroom all in one. I lost the bed somewhere under a bunch of piles after we had a garage sale this summer. I just found it again, but still have to locate the desk LOL. It's tough to let go of things we might use "someday", but I've decided I'm more productive and less stressed if I'm not overwhelmed with possessions and projects. Good luck on your clutter control!