Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   commercials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/commercials-t213808.html)

BarbaraTX 02-14-2013 08:28 AM

commercials

Why do they say "free gift". If you had to pay for it, it wouldn't be a gift. Do you ever see a commercial and wonder what the heck it was for?

Chasing Hawk 02-14-2013 08:40 AM

free gift is another word fro scam...haha

that is how they lure someone in.

ptquilts 02-14-2013 10:39 AM

All gifts are free, but the free gifts on TV usually require you to pay shipping and handling!

nativetexan 02-14-2013 04:41 PM

yep, some commercials don't say what the product they are selling is really. just a lot of sillyness going on.
same thing with newspaper ads i've seen recently. furniture for sale with huge full page ad but i never see what company it is. Bad avertising!! very bad. but I dont' care.

ptquilts 02-15-2013 04:51 AM

I have seen ads on TV for meds, and could not tell what the drug was supposed to do. Of course, it ended, "Ask your doctor if (drug) is right for you."

TanyaL 02-15-2013 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5862531)
I have seen ads on TV for meds, and could not tell what the drug was supposed to do. Of course, it ended, "Ask your doctor if (drug) is right for you."

Since you can't get the drug if the doctor doesn't write the prescription I wonder why they advertise at all. I guess the answer is that enough patients tell their doctors they want to try medicine that they saw advertised on TV and the doctors let the patients decide what medicines they will prescribe. I think that is the scary part! I had a family doctor tell me that when a movie came to town and a character had particular symptoms he knew he would have a run of patients in his office certain they had the very same symptoms. People are easily influenced.

alwayslearning 02-15-2013 07:12 AM

The people writing the commercials think everyone watching TV is a complete idiot. So many of the commercials talk down to the viewer. What they do not seem to realize is that so few pay any attention to the commercials which is why there has been so little backlash. The primary attention we pay to commercials is to either turn the sound down or change stations.

Stitchit123 02-15-2013 09:16 AM

I for one am swayed by the horrible commercials - As soon as I figure out what they are trying to sell I make it a mission NOT to purchase whatever it is. I thought they were aiming these short horror flicks on the younger then me crowd but my 38yr old son and DIL have no clue and my DSGD's ages 7-8 and 10 remind me of the ''Band Stand''show they rate it on whether they can dance to the music or not--and most of the music fails to move their feet.

jojo47 03-02-2013 07:25 PM

With TV one can always turn it off. My DH and I have been recipients of 'sweepstakes' letters claiming he (or I...these things come to either of us) we are winners of cash in the ammount of $1,100,000. I called - once! - and was fed a spiel you wouldn't believe! Turned out it was some national magazine sales and they wanted to rope me in to take 5 different subscriptions....for 5 years at a time!...They really pushed me wanting me to get my credit card...I kept telling them no...and when they would take no for my answer, I laid the phone down and walked away for about 10 minutes. Yup, they hung up!