Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Curtain Stretchers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/curtain-stretchers-t221235.html)

SuzzyQ 05-11-2013 10:23 AM

Curtain Stretchers

A neighbour gave me what he thought was a quilting frame that he got from his parents house when they moved into a home. I think they are curtain stretchers. I've never seen any but I remember my mom telling me about them. These consist of two long split boards with bent over nails at about 1 inch intervals. The cross-pies would seem to fit between these poles and are adjustable to size. I'm thinking the curtains were snagged (carefully!) and then the frame propped somewhere to dry.
Would I be a bad person if I just burned them. I already have two quilting frames and would have no need of the curtain stretchers. (If the curtains need to be stretched they wouldn't be in my house!)
Should I list them on Kijiji or donate somewhere - historical society or heritage village?

misspriss 05-11-2013 11:49 AM

I would advertise them. I still have my grandmothers stretchers and believe or not I still use them for my lace table clothes and to block stretch crochet and knitting.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 05-11-2013 01:09 PM

That brings back memories. I can still see my mother stretching lace curtains on one of them. So time consuming. Also remember changing rugs for the season. Lightwight grass type rugs for the summer and also slipcovers over the furniture.

bearisgray 05-11-2013 01:38 PM

The lace or meshy curtains were washed and starched - and painstakingly put on those things.

I would also suggest trying to find someone to take them. Is there a heritage museum near you?

jokir44 05-11-2013 07:09 PM

As a child I remember my grandmother using curtain stretchers outside and leaning them against the cellar. Woe be unto the unlucky child that knocked them down in the grass. Guess how I know this.

TnBecky 05-11-2013 07:34 PM

OMG, where you in my house today. LOL. My neighbor & her Mother where here talking about quilting. My friends Mother said her Mother, long passed away, used a hanging quilting frame that she thought she had gotten when she passed away. One day she went to get the frame out & realized she had gotten the curtain stretchers by mistake. She packed them back up in her basement. We all agreed that people don't use these anymore. She says that her daughter can get rid of them when she passes on. LOL. Sad that she didn't have the hanging quilt frame. Don't really know what to do with them.

CindyA 05-12-2013 03:42 AM

Never heard of curtain stretchers! If anyone has a picture I'd love to see it.

quiltinghere 05-12-2013 03:45 AM

I'd love to see a picture too.

Nan

Tartan 05-12-2013 03:56 AM

I wonder how that would work if you fastened scrap strips to the stretcher and used them for blocking a crooked quilt?