Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Darned Velcro! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/darned-velcro-t83623.html)

dutchie 12-18-2010 02:04 AM

I spent this afternoon making myself a new wallet. Got the pattern from the internet, grabbed some blues that were hanging about and whipped it together with only minor "unsewing." Only broke one needle because I wasn't paying attention. The finished product looked pretty darned good because I followed the directions to a T.

The very last instruction was "Give the wallet a final pressing and you're done." So I did and inadvertently ironed one half of the velcro patch. Melted the silly thing completely. Smeared melted black plastic across the face of the wallet.

I was SO mad I wanted to spit! I tried to peel the plastic glob from the fabric but they'd fused and were now one entity. I ended up stitching a new piece over the melted patch but there is no cure for the smear of black plastic. To say nothing of the black mess on the soleplate of my iron.

After a few choice words and a cup of coffee, I decided to use the wallet as is. It's the perfect size with the right number of card slots and cubbyholes for all the junk I carry around with me. I'll probably make another one or two tomorrow!

And ... I learned a very valuable lesson about velcro being intolerant of heat and thought I'd share that lesson with you. Don't iron your velcro!

Sue
who really DOES know that plastic melts when heated! The cats haven't stopped snickering.

PegD 12-18-2010 03:01 AM

Sorry to hear that happened to you, but it sounds like something that I would do. Good luck on your next ones.

ckcowl 12-18-2010 03:06 AM

wow, i would have cried! i am so glad you 'warned' us...i use velcro but have never had it melt...i try to be careful with it, and have ironed on the (back) fabric the velcro is adhered to and didn't notice it melt at all...but now i wonder. i've heard that dryer sheets (like bounce) work well to clean the press plate on your iron. i am glad you came up with a fix for your wallet...i just found a pattern for one i want to make if i ever catch up with quilting and have a couple hours 'to play' i will really watch the velcro and the iron now :) have a good weekend!

drivingsusan 12-18-2010 03:17 AM

Cats can be so cruel...............!!!
Thank you for the warning on velcro...just about to start a new project--with velcro--and that sounds like something I would have done!!

phatquilts 12-18-2010 04:08 AM

Oh, that has to be so maddening after all your fine artistry. It said iron/press on finishing. oh boo. Thanks for the heads-up on velcro. It most likely would happen to us, too.

Well let us see the pics when you make it again. Are you able to give us the web/or ref # for the wallet?

DJ 12-18-2010 06:15 AM

That's a hard way to learn that lesson! Magic eraser might work to clean your iron.

CarrieAnne 12-18-2010 06:22 AM

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!

nativetexan 12-18-2010 07:09 AM

hmmmm, i recently bought some fusible velcro!!! hmmmmm.

amandasgramma 12-18-2010 07:28 AM

I did the same thing!!!! I used a sharp kitchen knife and scraped off most. I'm able to use the wallet cuz I only iron 1/2 of the piece. Sorry you had the same problem!

Willa 12-18-2010 08:36 AM

Who knows, maybe you'll start a fashion trend with it and will be a millionare over night. (We can all dream)