Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Diaper Bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/diaper-bags-t20573.html)

blzzrdqueen 05-26-2009 05:14 AM

Has anyone ever made a diaper bag? I have a small Eddie Bauer one that is starting to fall apart and would love to make a new one. The only problem I might see, is that I use ice packs to keep milk bottles cold, so the inside would have to be able to stand up to moisture. Anyone know of any good *free* patterns out there that I might be able to work with?

Rhonda 05-26-2009 05:41 AM

Hi Blzzdqueen I used to make them a long time ago. Mine are pretty simple.

I have a pattern I can send to you. I don't have it written down but I will jot it down and send it if you want it.

Basically you just cut one long piece and then add pockets. Make two sides (with pockets) and inset the sides. Pretty simple.
I think you can buy some plastic like raincoats that could be used for the cold packs.

blzzrdqueen 05-26-2009 05:47 AM

Thank you Rhonda! Once again, you are very very kind. Would you be sending by email or snail mail?

Rhonda 05-26-2009 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
Thank you Rhonda! Once again, you are very very kind. Would you be sending by email or snail mail?

I can send it by email. I don't have a picture but I can walk you throught the steps. It is pretty basic. You can always make it more involved if you want to. I used to piece a changing quilt and laid it over the bag in place of a flap and then I sewed snaps on each corner so you could unsnap the quilt to use it. But you can just make a basic one if you wish.

Send me a pm with your email address. I might have it I don't remember. Some people have included it when they requested templates but it is easier if you would just send it to me again.

dvseals 05-26-2009 06:00 AM

Oo Could I get it too? Never can have too many diaper bags and I'm sure daughter will need a few in a couple months :)

Rhonda 05-26-2009 06:22 AM

Sure just send me your email address

Tink's Mom 05-26-2009 06:35 AM

Jen, if it is falling apart, why don't you just take it apart and use it for a pattern...Make a pocket for the ice packs out of plastic and make it 2 layers of the plastic so you can have plastic on both sides of the pocket.

blzzrdqueen 05-26-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Jen, if it is falling apart, why don't you just take it apart and use it for a pattern...Make a pocket for the ice packs out of plastic and make it 2 layers of the plastic so you can have plastic on both sides of the pocket.

It's actually quite small and I'm looking to make something from scratch and a little bigger than what I have. Right now the one I'm using I can only fit diapers, food and the bottles in. I'd like to be able to fit all my little things like nail clippers, sun block, diaper rash creams and my personaly stuff, like my cell phone and wallet. I've been dying to make one from scratch, just have been waiting for this one to kick the bucket! Thanks for the great idea though. I'll keep it in mind for a future project, the diaper bag definetly will be used some how.

bearisgray 05-26-2009 07:49 AM

Could you just use heavy duty zip lock plastic bags for the ice? And put them in the designated pockets? Or aren't they secure/sturdy enough?