Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did you know? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-you-know-t61430.html)

BarbaraTX 08-26-2010 06:09 AM

You can iron tissue paper. It's a joke among my family and friends that I'll take all the tissue paper from b-day parties or Christmas. I haven't bought tissue paper in years. Do you have a "did you know"?

RatherB Quilting 08-26-2010 07:17 AM

Did you know that tracing paper doesn't iron well at all? Thanks for your tip...I used tracing paper for paper piecing and it didn't work very well. I might switch and try tissue paper!

Ditter43 08-26-2010 07:27 AM

Yes, I knew that....there, I've told on myself!!! :oops: :D

Gramma B 08-26-2010 07:53 AM

I remember as a kid, Mom would iron tissue paper. Kind of forgot about it until now. Thanks for the reminder!

amandasgramma 08-26-2010 08:01 AM

yes, tissue paper DOES iron well...so do most wrapping papers.....my gramma was the first RECYCLER!!!!!!

grann of 6 08-26-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
You can iron tissue paper. It's a joke among my family and friends that I'll take all the tissue paper from b-day parties or Christmas. I haven't bought tissue paper in years. Do you have a "did you know"?

Yes.... It also works good for tracing patterns too. I don't cut up my patterns, always trace them onto tissue paper. not big enough? Tape the pieces together.

sewmuchmore 08-26-2010 08:45 AM

Everyone in the family know not to throw away tissue paper. I not only iron them but I also put them in a shred it also. And use it in gift baskets. :oops:

ckcowl 08-26-2010 10:36 AM

since i started sewing in the early 60's in 4-H yup...knew that; clothing patterns are made with tissue paper and you had no choice, after you used a pattern if it was ever going back into it's envelope each piece was ironed. and folded carefully so you could re-use your patterns :)

reach for the stars 2 08-26-2010 10:50 AM

Yes I thought I was the only one. I so wrapping paper too

May in Jersey 08-26-2010 01:41 PM

I've ironed tissue paper and wrapping paper too, you should see the big box of tissue, paper and gift bags I have. After we open our Christmas gifts I put all the wrappings into a large shopping bag. Later I remove all usuable paper, ribbons, etc. and also check to see that a gift wasn't discarded by mistake.

Guess I started early because as a kid we wrapped gifts with white tissue paper and used glue to hold it shut. Any gift boxes and tissue we received were saved. That's back when department stores gave you nice boxes with covers and put tissue paper around your gift inside. I used to buy my godmother a hankerchief for Christmas, it costs $1 and the sales gal put it in a special hanky box with tissue paper in it. No other wrapping, ribbon or gift tag was needed. Nowadays we're lucky to get a flat gift box and never stays open correctly. May in Jersey