Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dishwasher help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dishwasher-help-t195222.html)

Ruby the Quilter 07-20-2012 11:28 AM

Dishwasher help!!

My dishwasher smells! I put white vinegar in the rinse dispenser thinking it would help. I now leave the door open a little and that helps. Any ideas on what to do?

gramajo 07-20-2012 11:35 AM

Sometime food particles accumulate in the bottom or by the drain. Try checking those spots to see if that helps.

NJ Quilter 07-20-2012 11:51 AM

Silly as it sounds, run some baking soda/vinegar mixture down your sink drain. The DW is connected to that drain and it could also be that your just noticing it more in the DW. Pour the old baking soda from your fridge down the drain then follow it with the vinegar. It will foam in the pipes and help clean them out. If you also have a garbage disposal, quarter a whole lemon and chop that up followed by some ice cubes in the disposer. Have everything smelling fresh in no time.

sewgray 07-20-2012 12:41 PM

In the garbage disposer take off that rubber lip and wash the underside of it. You will be surprised how dirty it is, and smelly.

Latrinka 07-20-2012 01:44 PM

I think I saw something advertised to clean dishwasher, or maybe that was washing machine?! I don't use dishwasher, have one, just old fashinoned I guess. I use mine for storage!

cinjosie 07-22-2012 03:36 AM

Here is how I clean mine -

First make sure to clean the filter in the bottom --- food sticks to it
Clean the gasket/seal around the inside edge of the door
Put 2 cups of white vinegar in a bowl and set upright on the bottom rack - run the dishwasher through a short cycle and it should be as good as new!

meanmom 07-22-2012 05:22 AM

MY dishwasher had the most awful smell. I tried everything, bleach baking soda etc. Nothing fixed it. I googled it too. I finally figured out that food particles accumulate in the bottom edge of the door. I got some paper towels and wiped it gagging the whole time. It was really gross. Now I clean it every week or 2. Just take some paper towels and clean the bottom edge of the door with it wide open. Hope this helps. It solved my problem.
Pat

stitchnstuff 07-22-2012 07:17 AM

on the bottom of the dishwasher around the seal on the door, run your fingers around it and see if there is food particles that have dried there. i had somewhat of the same situation and cleaned that up and it was green and gooey, then i ran a pot scrubber cycle with bleach in the detergent cup and it solved problem. good luck, it's a messy job!!

Colbaltjars62 07-22-2012 09:01 AM

A cup of "TANG" in the dishwasher or washing machine scrubs the inside of the machine and it has a nice citrus smell when done.
Run an empty load with the Tang in it and fore-go the dry cycle.

drgranny 07-22-2012 09:48 AM

I use some stuff called Citra Cleen. It cleans the inside of your dishwasher and also keeps your glasses from spotting. It is really good for stainless lined dishwashers. Keeps the stainless steel from getting dull. and makes the dishwasher smell better.