Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you like an open-concept kitchen/living space? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-like-open-concept-kitchen-living-space-t157079.html)

sew cornie 09-30-2011 04:12 PM

Our home has an open-concept floor plan with an eat-in kitchen open to the family room. One big space. We bought into the idea that it's a great set-up for entertaining, enjoying family time, etc. Fast forward 10 years. If I had the choice to do it again, I'd choose a house with a kitchen as its own separate enclosed room. I've found that the open-concept rooms only lead to louder noise. Too much competition for air space. When a group is gathered, multiple conversations simultaneously go on from one end of the room to another. At other times, the television competes with the volume of the dishwasher/microwave/exhaust fan, . . . . I've learned that I miss the days of quietly washing the dishes after dinner, enjoying some thinking time or some soft singing. I miss the coziness an enclosed kitchen can provide. If I had my druthers, we'd wall our kitchen in but I think that might not bode well for resale someday as it seems open-concept is what people want.

What do you prefer and why?

niizh 09-30-2011 04:15 PM

Open Concept. Love it. Have had both and still prefer everything to be open. To me, all the noise and confusion just adds to life.

leatheflea 09-30-2011 04:17 PM

I lived in an open concept and found it to be annoying also. I like being able to get away from the noise, and go make my own noise.

Dolphyngyrl 09-30-2011 04:18 PM

I like open. We had enclosed when I was little, can't say I cared for it. I think open allows you to more interact with family while prepping dinner and such.

SuziC 09-30-2011 04:18 PM

"Open Concept" is the new normal these days. I like the separate rooms. It gives privacy and does add to the quiet

athomenow 09-30-2011 04:18 PM

I have the open concept and you have to keep your kitchen clean! I would love to have what they used to call a gathering room with a kitchen, large space to eat and a family room with a huge fireplace. The one thing I'll never have again is the 2 story great room. What a waste of space and hard to heat!

Jim's Gem 09-30-2011 04:20 PM

we have a very compartmentalized house. My kitchen is definitely it's own room. I wish mine were a little more open as I end up fixing dinner in the kitchen while family and friends are in the Living room talking and I miss out on all the conversation. It's no fun to be isolated. However, we have a small group Bible Study at our home at least one day a week and when the kids were younger, we could close off the kitchen and not have to hear them so much. I have noticed that when our model of home sells, the new people have been opening up the kitchen. I can see that thru the living room window at dusk, before curtains are closed. One of these days I am going to knock on my neighbors house and ask if the will show me what the did to open up the kitchen.

QuiltnLady1 09-30-2011 04:29 PM

I have a kitchen, dining room and living room as one large open room. The kitchen is defined by wrap around counters. I like it, except I am the world's messiest cook so when we have company the messy kitchen is there for everyone to see. I would not wall mine in since I have a gorgeous view through the windows in the dining room (and lots of light).

Murphy 09-30-2011 04:32 PM

I like a separate kitchen. Go for it :-).

quilter68 09-30-2011 04:46 PM

Do not like open concept. like large individual rooms. open = no walls to hang art/photos/quilts, etc. etc. means no place for all of the stuff that I have bought in the last 50 years.
Oh and the wall in the family room that went all the way up to the roof, nix that, and put a fourth bedroom there. 12,000 for a loft that is always too hot and too cold but 5,00 for a fourth bedroom.