Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   does anyone on here have a min pin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-here-have-min-pin-t143161.html)

Bueniebabe 08-06-2011 03:49 PM

We have a 6 month old named Riley. He does this thing with his back legs like he is covering up dog poop when he's not. He doesn't want to sit on our laps much anymore. The first 2 months he hardley ever left my lap. Do they all do this? We had 4 rat terriers before him. Riley is such a different breed. Our vet called us again the other day to see if we wanted a stray jack russel. I can't do 3 dogs any more. I would love to.

wolfkitty 08-06-2011 04:55 PM

I think all dogs do that thing where they kick the ground. It's not breed-specific. Just be sure to train him as you would any other dog, large or small. Please don't let him get away with things just because he is small and you think it looks cute. It will only get harder to fix later, and it won't be 'cute' when he is adult and ill-tempered. (Don't mean to sound 'bossy' - I've just been watching too many dog shows, and a friend who put off training until her rotweiller got bigger - the dog didn't bite or anything, but would jump and bark and they don't have control over her in that regard.)

Bueniebabe 08-06-2011 05:01 PM

I had trouble getting him in the house from outside. But go out and herd him to the door. Now he comes when I call him. He has already learned from my husband. I have learned I can't be a softie because he is so smart. And he is so cute when he looks up at one with those eyes. We use a squirt gun to get their attention. Our rat terrier we have all I have to do is say squirt gun and he listens. It doesn't shoot much water. We had a min schnauzer that my neighbor turned the garden hose on when he barked outside. All we had to do was point our finger and go shshsh. He is the 9th dog I have had.

gypsyquilter 08-06-2011 05:47 PM

dogs who push their legs back and look like they are trying to cover up their poop are trying to spread their scent farther than normal, it is normal dog behavior trying to establish territory and dominance -its nothing to worry about or try to train out of them.

Bueniebabe 08-06-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
dogs who push their legs back and look like they are trying to cover up their poop are trying to spread their scent farther than normal, it is normal dog behavior trying to establish territory and dominance -its nothing to worry about or try to train out of them.

He does this in the house when he gets wound up, sees himself in the mirror or hears anything on tv.

roda 08-06-2011 07:23 PM

I have a mini pin rat terrier mix she's 15 now. She had extreme head trama when young lost one eye and is slighty paralyzed on one side and is a holy terror and runs this house.

MandyM 08-06-2011 07:30 PM

Have a min pin.. my does the same thing, she also likes to do a spin action for no apparent reason! My min pin likes to share the recliner in the evening, or when ever anyone is sitting in a chair she likes to sretch out at your side.
Would reitterate earlier poster, train just as you would any other dog, it is really easy to fall into the mindset that they are so small hat you give him special privileges.
My 110lb male Black Lab knows the 9lb Min Pin is his boss!!

MandyM 08-06-2011 07:33 PM

By the way.. would love to see a picture !

Bueniebabe 08-06-2011 08:00 PM

Riley does the spin thing too. He will sit with me late at night. Otherwise he likes to curl up on the floor or under the computer on blankets there. We have blankets on the chairs, couch and the bed for him. I bought all these soft velour like blankets after xmas for 1.50. I went back a second time and got like 16 all together. We had a sick dog at the time and had to put to sleep in March. He had kidney problems and spent 1,000 on him in 3 months. He did good from Jan till March.

People call me dog crazy. Our vet called last week again looking for a home for a stray brought in. He always call us. I just can't do 3 dogs anymore. Our rat terrier Bubba is 12 and I'm 62 to old more 3. We live in a small town 150 people, 12 kids, 30 dogs. Every dog knows my car because I always have dog treats. One dog I taught to sit and shake for a owner. And I miss the ones that have died. Some people think I'm nuts. It sure is funny all the quilters on here that are animal lovers. When someone doesn't know whose dog is running around they ask me if I know. I have been called the dog police to.

I need to get some pictures scanned. The people we got him from are waiting to. I don't have a digital but a 35 mm yet. I like to have the pictures in my hand. Since I take up to over a 1000 for my church a year.

Bueniebabe 08-06-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MandyM
Have a min pin.. my does the same thing, she also likes to do a spin action for no apparent reason! My min pin likes to share the recliner in the evening, or when ever anyone is sitting in a chair she likes to sretch out at your side.
Would reitterate earlier poster, train just as you would any other dog, it is really easy to fall into the mindset that they are so small hat you give him special privileges.
My 110lb male Black Lab knows the 9lb Min Pin is his boss!!

Riley thinks he is the boss over Bubba who is bigger too. He thinks if he barks at Bubba, Bubba should move so he can lay there. Bubba will move. We are working on stopping this.