Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone make their own laundry soap?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-make-their-own-laundry-soap-t57435.html)

STAR 08-02-2010 03:41 AM

Well DH was talking to the neighbor and he said that his wife makes their laundry soap once a year. I guess she uses vinegar?? not sure exactly but its a powder and they save lots of money doing this. I am thinking of trying. Has anyone done this or used any other method??

smtp5 08-02-2010 03:52 AM

I have made some before and here are some recipes that I have used...
Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipes
Recipe #1

1 quart Water (boiling)
2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

■Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.
■Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.
■Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.
■Cover pail and use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Stir the soap each time you use it (will gel).
Recipe #2

Hot water
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 Soap bar

■Grate the bar soap and add to a large saucepan with hot water. Stir over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
■Fill a 10 gallon pail half full of hot water. Add the melted soap, Borax and Washing soda, stir well until all powder is dissolved. Top the pail up with more hot water.
■Use 1 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).
Recipe #3

Hot water
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/3 bar Soap (grated)

■In a large pot, heat 3 pints of water. Add the grated bar soap and stir until melted. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat.
■In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 1 quart of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.
■Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).

CarrieAnne 08-02-2010 04:09 AM

I use the same one from above, except I use soap scraps. I just save the tiny bits from the bars ,and dry them out.
I wonder if she uses vinegar in the rinse cycle as a fabric softner, I do!

LeeAnn 08-02-2010 04:11 AM

Where do you get Borax and Washing Soda? How well does it clean?

ilovejunkandstuff 08-02-2010 04:13 AM

I have but I started with homemade lye soap. Then grade it then add water more of a pain. Not sure it saved alot of money.

CarrieAnne 08-02-2010 04:28 AM

LeeAnn, it can be hard to find, I find mine mostly at the smaller grocery stores. Do you have a Piggly Wiggly? Thats were I get it. They should be in the laundry isle.
It cleans GREAT, but one caution! I have alot of black pants, I dont use it on those, as it seems to fade them faster. I just use Dawn dish soap on blacks.
Borax is a great natural cleaner, and even kills fleas!

STAR 08-02-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I use the same one from above, except I use soap scraps. I just save the tiny bits from the bars ,and dry them out.
I wonder if she uses vinegar in the rinse cycle as a fabric softner, I do!

Yes!! she does use it as fabric softner :-D I will have to borrow this book from her or ask her about it because I would like a powder rather then a liquid if possible.

STAR 08-02-2010 09:41 AM

smpt5, thanx for all the great recipes, I will have to try one out!

trupeach1 08-02-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
Where do you get Borax and Washing Soda? How well does it clean?

I buy it on line at Meijers.com, you have to buy it by the case but you can use it as an all purpose cleaner. I use the same recipe and this detergent will clean the dirtest diaper so it is bright and white.

Maksi 08-02-2010 10:01 AM

I was with washing nuts. But for the white wash I use a regular soap.