Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-your-post-office-allow-stuffed-flat-rate-envelopes-t134518.html)

dogpursemaker 07-01-2011 11:17 AM

I am finding that more and more ebay sellers are saying that their post offices won't allow them to stuff flat rate envelopes. I've not had that problem with my post office, which is on the picky side-I have to add extra postage if I send a tiny handmade button in a letter! :roll:
I'm wondering if this is becoming a regional thing, local only, or does the seller just not want to stuff? Have you ever not been allowed to send a stuffed envelope?

BellaBoo 07-01-2011 11:21 AM

My local PO will accept stuffed to almost bursting if I use the good packing tape to hold it all together. Some of my packages are so full they look like throw pillows. I asked one clerk and he said it was up to the clerk, no one gets in trouble by allowing it.

CoyoteQuilts 07-01-2011 11:21 AM

Yep, depends on the person waiting on you too. They say that the envelopes were made for documents.........

ptquilts 07-01-2011 11:24 AM

They should ALL allow it, this business of having each clerk make up their own rules is bogus.
Just avoid the arguments and get FR padded envelopes though, is the easiest way.

leatheflea 07-01-2011 11:25 AM

And they wonder why the postal service is failing. I rarely use the post office to ship anything.

bakermom 07-01-2011 11:27 AM

i've never had a problem with them. Although the last box(the new game box) i sent was a bit bulgy and the clerk commented on it but still accepted it. I think the problem is when it really doesn't shut and people use tape to make it bigger.
everthing is automated so i can see why they want to keep things uniform. If the envelope or package doesn't fit thru the machine it can get damaged.

dogpursemaker 07-01-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Just avoid the arguments and get FR padded envelopes though, is the easiest way.

I didn't know about these! What is the charge to send the padded ones, please?

bearisgray 07-01-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker

Originally Posted by ptquilts

I didn't know about these! What is the charge to send the padded ones, please?

$4.95 at the post office plus delivery confirmation

$4.75 if purchased through PayPal, which includes delivery confirmation

I think the padded ones tear easily.

One can also order a flat rate legal sized envelope.

MTS 07-01-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
$4.95 at the post office plus delivery confirmation
$4.75 if purchased through PayPal, which includes delivery confirmation

Actually, that's a current glitch that PayPal hasn't yet updated because...well, they're PayPal.

The price really should be $4.95 with NO DISCOUNT and free DelConf.

However, since PayPal hasn't yet added the padded option to the form, the only option is the regular FRE which does provide a $.20 discount.

I haven't yet had a package returned for the extra postage (over 150 as I'm halfway done with my 2nd box).
Yet. :roll:
Technically, I guess they could ask for it.
My packages are either deposited in the kiosk, or scanned on the multi-order form, so nobody really notices.
And my mailguy is a dream
Or worse, ask your buyer for it on the other end.

If you buy your postage at usps.com, you'll see that both the padded and legal FRE's have no discount on the postage.

Delivery Confirmation, however, continues to be free on all the Priority options when postage is purchased online.

Zhillslady 07-01-2011 12:14 PM

I aksed at post office today and postal policy is its a flat rate for whatever fits in package. They do however refuse it if it is not adequately taped shut. Just FYI