Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   dog and cat crates blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-cat-crates-blankets-t224762.html)

Phyllis42 06-30-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by KathyKat (Post 6151639)
I made this one by leaving one side unsewn then sewing channels down towards the unsewn side. I stuffed them with my fabric and thread bits but you can also use all those plastic shopping bags we accumulate. This was made to lay on the floor for a big dog and she loves it. You could use colorful fabric, make them crate size and just put a small amount of stuffing in the channels to make them extra comfy.

I really like that idea.

nanacc 06-30-2013 07:32 AM

Check with thrift stores. DM made denim purses and was given a large box of jeans that they had too many to stock. You can always find some good fabric from even well-worn jeans. I did a large throw for our Golden Retriever in his 'igloo' dog house and used old blanket for lining.

Flo Pierce 06-30-2013 08:22 AM

Regarding a pet bed. We have 2 large dogs. Neither care about a warm place to lay. They prefer a cold floor. One dog
is a Malimute Husky , the other is a Black Lab. I used left over denium. Even putting some together to make the bed
big enough. It is washable and also I'm able to vacuum it well if needed. Hair doesn't stick to it as much as it would either
fleece or flannel. Not to speak about little critters that could be in the pet bed.

Loving our pets in NNY

star619 06-30-2013 08:22 AM

I made this one by leaving one side unsewn then sewing channels down towards the unsewn side. I stuffed them with my fabric and thread bits but you can also use all those plastic shopping bags we accumulate. This was made to lay on the floor for a big dog and she loves it. You could use colorful fabric, make them crate size and just put a small amount of stuffing in the channels to make them extra comfy.

Could I ask what the approximate size of this mat is?

marla 06-30-2013 11:29 AM

Could you show us what you mean that you sewed down channels on the unsewn side.?

ljptexas 06-30-2013 11:50 AM

I have made several for the shelter close to me. All these 4 legged creatures of God needs something soft to lay on & hope the kitties/cats can take to their forever homes. I just used up scrap strips (made l-i-t-t-l-e dent). Made them different sizes..
Thanks to all who care so much!!!

Marysewfun 06-30-2013 04:22 PM

That sewing channels reminds me of an article I read just a couple days ago on a charity site - - - they were using covers made with channels with autistic children - the flexibility of the channels fitting around their bodies gave them a "secure" feeling and they were finding success in this idea.

Marysewfun

damaquilts 07-01-2013 05:12 AM

I use to make these all the time when I fostered. I used whatever batting I had left over and then found mattress covers at a yard sale. I cut those up to use for the inside. I used scraps of what ever fabric I had just sewed all three layers together and turned and stitched around the edges and then cross hatched. Washable , used up scraps etc. It never took very long to do and it was good for cleaning out scraps of things and for days when I needed something mindless to do.

mjhaess 07-01-2013 06:56 AM

I have four rescue dogs and I have made quilts for their dog beds...I had bought two big bags of fleece scraps from a local thrift store and used them to make the quilts..They are soft warm and cuddly as well as a pretty covering for their beds which are lined up in the living room in from of the fireplace..,,Bless you for helping our furry friends...

LuckyGemini 07-01-2013 11:41 AM

I use an old pillow case and fill 3/4 full of scraps. Sew the end shut. Then sew in channels if you want to. My 10 pond dog loves to rearrange the pillow before laying on it, so I don't put in channels.

If I give one away, I put another pillow case on it or make a cover out of old bath towels.
When i need a bigger pillow i use old bed sheets and cut to size. All the animals love them.

I can put everything in the washer and dryer.