Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The dreaded gift swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dreaded-gift-swap-t205953.html)

quiltingcandy 11-14-2012 11:31 AM

I have never been a real fan of these types of exchanges. Always seemed I gave great thought over my gift of what others might like and I would end up going home with something I wouldn't even donate. One year they came up with an ornament exchange and the one I ended up with was a broken snowman. Fun! The youth group at church used to do a "white elephant" exchange, until a couple of the boys used actual trash in their gift. They thought it was funny, no one else did. I could go on, so I stopped participating. After a few years of it, it was too hard to pretend some of the off color items were funny and when others just picked out the cheapest item they could find - it was easier to stop than to pretend. I can't understand why people ca't do the gift card idea if they really feel forced into it. I know it is hard to admit sometimes when it isn't affordable, then maybe bake a bunch of cookies or something.
People shouldn't be upset about re-gifting at these things either, unless it is something that expired. People get things they really don't want - why not send it along?

Sorry to be the party-pooper, but I really prefer to give gifts to people I want to give a thoughtful gift rather than a guessing game and be the victim of someone else's thoughtlessness.

ptquilts 11-14-2012 11:36 AM

just bow out - maybe you will start a trend.

PartyWeDo 11-14-2012 01:59 PM

The family gift exchange doesn't have to be boring. We have used these to exchange gifts among our large family, but have used different styles of white elephant games each time. The AlbinoPhant site has many variations of the white elephant party for you to try. Here is a link to the unique game rules: http://albinophantblog.com/white-ele...e-idea-center/
I hope that this will help you guys to make the swap more engaging this year!
Sarah Christensen

barny 11-14-2012 02:09 PM

We have passed an awful painting of a frog around a few years. Also a pair of red underwear. It's time to bring them out again. It's been awhile. We just go along with the games. It is the friends that count. Or the family.

bearisgray 11-14-2012 06:36 PM

Maybe suggest that instead of doing the game thing - that the money that would have been spent be donated to a charity or food shelf?

I don't care for that at all, either. I frequently get something in the "Thanks, but you REALLY shouldn't have" category that ends up being trash, clutter, or donated.

When funds are really tight - even $5.00 can matter.

Judith1005 11-14-2012 07:00 PM

So many great ideas and wise advice. I do so enjoy coming to the board. I hope you have a great holiday Sandygirl. Just being with family and friends is the most important thing.:)

nativetexan 11-14-2012 07:20 PM

i heard some ladies at the Senior Center talking about white elephant gifts. I do hope I'm not expected to waste money on one! they are wasteful and i don't have much money. I must ask tomorrow at the card game (apples to apples) i play there.

Annieflower 11-14-2012 07:51 PM

I remember a ladies group that I had joined years ago. Money was tight for everyone and we had a recycled Chinese Auction for the gift exchange. Everybody brought a gift that they had recieved in good condition and regifted it. It was the best gift exchange ever and it was just so spirited and funny. It's amazing what things folks can find to share with another. Happy Holidays with lots of laughs. :o

owlvamp 11-14-2012 08:08 PM

I never like those type of games either. When I give a gift I put lots of thought into and try to find out everything I can about whom will receive my gift. I like giving that I want the receiver to really love what they received. So I'm not good at all at those type of games. I personally would bow out and just go to be with everyone. Bake some cookies and take those. Do a cookie exchange or ornament exchange. I also like what a lot of the advice the ladies gave you.

Whatever you decide have a Happy Holidays and smile.

NJ Quilter 11-15-2012 03:10 AM

My siblings and I for years pulled names for gift exchanges. One of my sibs was particularly bad about being on the 'giving' end. We also had a price limit. It got very tedious after a while. I finally convinced a couple of them that none of really needed the items we were getting for one another; none of us had the room for more 'stuff'; etc. We finally decided to just do a gag re-gift exchange. Much more fun. But my one SIL still sends us stuff from the kids each year despite my pleas to not do so. The items are usually quite hideous and cheap. I'm not complaining about the amount of money spent, but if you're buying cheap stuff just to be able to say you sent a gift, and I've begged you not to, why even bother????