Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dress forms - anyone have and use one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dress-forms-anyone-have-use-one-t220744.html)

Whigrose 05-05-2013 04:10 AM

Dress forms - anyone have and use one?

Hi all,
Does anyone here use a dress form?

Recently I made the decision to acquire a dress form for myself. After researching the different brands and DIY ideas, I made my decision. I e-mailed the company with a couple of questions about sizing. I also found out they discontinued the size I need. So my daily mission is to stalk CL's like a woman possessed in hopes of finding one in my size.

If you use a dress form, what brand do you have? Is it easy to use and adjust? Do you use the Fabulous Fit padding system with it? Any helpful comments or suggestions would be welcomed. Would you buy the brand again?

I am trying to find a 'group' to join that discusses home garment sewing; any suggestions?

best,
d

CindyA 05-05-2013 04:19 AM

Whigrose, I'm interested in this topic, too, and would join group about it. I asked a year or two on this board, also. I received several responses and if I can find and post the thread I will. One lady was about to make her own form and maybe I can contact her to see if she ever did. I read a good article in a garment magazine (Threads?) about making one. I also looked on-line and found some ideas. If memory serves I think the best fit is if you're going to make your own. Timeconsumming and you may need help, but maybe worth the trouble if you want good fit. That's my biggest hurdle - getting a good fit. I'm so frustrated trying to get commercial patterns to fit me. I feel like I have decent enough skills as far as the actual sewing, I just want it to look good and not 'homemade.'

Whigrose 05-05-2013 04:44 AM

Hi CindyA,
I've seen the DIY forms - paper tape, duct tape, spray foam insulation, etc.and decided this is not the route I want to go. I must say, the form that uses the foam spray has the most potential if one were going that route.

I totally understand about not wanting to look 'homemade' - that is exactly where I'm coming from. What I really want to do is find tops and such at resale places and 'refashion' them, not to mention dh's cast offs :-) I also look forward to draping a skirt and a simple dress that can be fashioned up or down.

Let's keep our fingers crossed we get some great feedback. Maybe even stay in touch through PM's when something comes up.

best,
d

QUOTE=... I'm interested in this topic...QUOTE]

CindyA 05-05-2013 04:46 AM

That sounds great. I just searched for the previous thread (I though it was started last summer) and cannot find it. :(

bdschafer 05-05-2013 07:01 AM

I'm also interested in finding a dress form. What com. did you find the forms in?

michelled 05-05-2013 08:40 AM

I have an adjustable dress form that I've always used when sewing. It's the kind that has dials at the neck, bust, waist and hips to adjust. I found it at a clearance sale at Sears over 40 years ago. It has a fabric covering with foam underneath and it's great for pinning the pieces together then for making adjustments as you go. I used to keep my mom's measurements on hand and then I could make clothes for her without her ever seeing them until they were done - and I knew they would fit! It was also great when I made a dress for my daughter because I didn't have to bug her to keep trying it on. The form came in two sizes - one was for the 28-36 sizes and the other for larger sizes.
Has anyone tried e-bay, Craigslist or sites like kijiji to see if there are some used ones?

MartiMorga 05-05-2013 08:48 AM

I tried the DIY dress form, but the only assistant I had was my DH and he covered me in duck tape, but I wasn't making myself clear about form.....I put it on a form that I got from this petite woman and while working with it decided I would be better off going on a diet!!

Whigrose 05-05-2013 12:34 PM

I was interested in Fabulous Fit personal dress form. and model[QUOTE=... What com. did you find the forms in?[/QUOTE]

Best,
d

linda faye 05-05-2013 02:27 PM

I have a brand new dress form in my closet....that I bought about seven years ago. One day I plan to get back into garment sewing but that day hasn't come yet. Mine is fabric covered and has dials to adjust to size.

Whigrose 05-11-2013 04:05 AM

For those of you who may be considering the purchase of a dressmaking mannequin, mine should be here Thursday or sooner. I'll be happy to give feedback if you're looking for some.

I did tons of research, blog reading, hunting down reviews, etc. I'm too inpatient to get playing and didn't want to wait ($$$) for the form I really think I might like to have, so I ordered something in between the big craft stores and the high-end Wolf, Royal and Fabulous Fit forms.

I knew I needed something pinnable for draping, not tippy, adjustable height, and that stand up to the task of changing size without fear of plastic knobs and dials breaking.

Also have the Fabulous Fit pads coming to make her my double. Eeeeee. So excited.

best,
d