Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Easy tick removal....good to know! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/easy-tick-removal-good-know-t125988.html)

Ditter43 05-26-2011 09:28 PM

Tick removal the easy way! Save the hide and eliminate the rider!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children. ..or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in
those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark
hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently, and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this
method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on -- Everyone needs this helpful hint.

montanajan 05-26-2011 09:32 PM

Thanks - sure beats applying a hot match to it.

wanda lou 05-26-2011 09:41 PM

Thank you this is great info...

I am a nurse and have never heard of this one.

janedee 05-26-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Tick removal the easy way! Save the hide and eliminate the rider!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children. ..or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in
those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark
hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently, and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this
method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on -- Everyone needs this helpful hint.

same result only I use vaseline to suffocate the little monster :D

thrums 05-26-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks I sent this to my friends.

I use tea tree oil to try to keep them at bay. It keeps my friends at bay too. :o)

gaby4v 05-26-2011 10:09 PM

Good to know!! Thanks for sharing!!!

sewcrafty 05-27-2011 02:25 AM

Thanks soooo much! I hate those little blooding sucking creatures. <shivers>

CarrieAnne 05-27-2011 03:01 AM

I had one crawling on me after a hike the other day, Thank Goodness he hadnt gotten in my skin yet. Yuck! Great tip!

Vickymomof6 05-27-2011 03:21 AM

We twist them off. You just take a tissue and just give it a little twist they come off every time this method for us.

I'll try your soap method next time.

Ticks are AWFUL!

Vicky

jeaninmaine 05-27-2011 03:37 AM

Ditter, this is a wonderful tip, thank you so much. We're about to move to a house out in the country and if there's as many ticks as there are biting flying insects then this will come in VERY handy.