Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/embroidery-machines-t99757.html)

char in MI 02-14-2011 09:44 AM

I went to a trunk show featuring Out of Africa. The embroidery designs were incredible. I'm sure I was the only one there who did not own an embroidery machine. I would like to know how many people have emb. machines, what kind and how much you really use them. Of course I fell iin love with the Bernina 830 but since it is $10,000 and I am 65 yr old, I am wondering how much I would use it to make the investment worthwhile. Several ladies (not young) have multiple emb machines plus sewing machines. What appreciate your input. thanks.

Up North 02-14-2011 10:19 AM

I have an inexpensive Brother I love it!!

RitaFaye 02-14-2011 10:22 AM

I'm not young well in body anyway, *LOL* my mind thinks it is......I am 2 weeks into owning a brother pe 770 and I love it.
Wonder why I waited so long.......Rita

JanetM 02-14-2011 10:23 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Designer SE embroidery/sewing machine. I embroidered my very first design within an hour of unpacking my previous machine (#1+), and have been embroidering ever since.

I absolutely love being able to embroider in addition to sewing. ;)

Only you know if you would really use an embroidery feature. There are very expensive machines...true, but if you don't want to spend that much you don't have to. Many sewing machine dealers have gently used machines (from their customers that upgraded) available at reasonable prices.

If you can afford to buy one...you should. :thumbup: I have a sewing friend that is in her 80's. She upgraded her Designer SE machine to the Husqvarna Viking Diamond about 18 months ago!!

gmaybee 02-14-2011 11:02 AM

I have the Pfaff 2140 upgraded to 2170 which I use mostly just to sew with now. I use my Pfaff Creative Vision for embroidery. Pfaff has some mid range machines that embroider also.

kjdavis4 02-14-2011 11:03 AM

I have a Bernina artista 640 and I love it. Embroiders very well and was not difficult to learn. If you are new to embroidery you may want to buy a machine from a dealer who provides support and classes. That can really make a difference.

pjbaba 02-14-2011 12:11 PM

I have Singer XL1000 and XL6000. Love them both. Used Out of Africa disigns and they our nice

janethagy 02-14-2011 12:45 PM

I have a Singer Futura 250.. I love doing embroidery with it.

craftmama 02-14-2011 12:49 PM

I have the Janome 350E and the Janome MB4. The 350E is a wonderful machine and easy to learn. The MB4 is a 4 needle machine and a bit more expensive. It just depends on what/how much you would be using it. Good luck in your adventures.

Quilter7x 02-14-2011 12:50 PM

I have an old Janome, a Memory Craft 9000 that does a small field of embroidery and I got a used Bernina 180E last spring. I do use the embroidery, though not as much as I would like to. I don't think age really has much to do with the decision on whether to buy one or not. If you're going to use it, then why deprive yourself?