Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/february-2012-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t177543.html)

Jim's Gem 02-17-2012 10:47 AM

I weighed in at the doctor's office and I am officially down 21 lbs. They have another weight for me when I first went and I am down 24 lbs from that one. This month I am down 5.5 lbs so far.
I am really happy. Of course it would be nice to have lost more but this is only since Thanksgiving and I am not getting in any exercise as of yet. I know it is not healthy to lose weight too fast, it tends to not stay off if you do.
I forgot to ask about the Iron stuff and feeling drained. She does have me doing a bunch of blood work but not until right before I see her again in 4 weeks.
She had some shoulder surgery about 7 weeks ago and I asked her how it was going. Doctors make the worst patients!!!!! She's seeing the same Ortho as I and has not gone for a follow-up apt since getting her stitches out. I highly encouraged her to go to therapy and gave her the name of my Therapist.
I have a UFO weekend with my quilting buddies. We are doing a x-block pattern. I think I am going to do something slightly different but still an X-block pattern. One that I have had for a few years. I have yet to even pick out my fabrics. I should have it all cut out before 3 today. Yea, right!!!!
I have 4 hours! It may not happen. If nothing else I can get together backs for 5 quilts that need sandwiching. We set up tables to be able to sandwich on and I will have lots of help tonight if that's what I want to do....... What to do?????
I may try and bring it all. We get together from 5- 11ish on Friday evening and 9-3 on Saturday. I will be a little late getting there tonight cause I have PT and will get home at 5 and then have to load up all my stuff. Unless I get it ready ahead of time. We'll see.
Hope you all have a great day today!! Eat well and eat light!!!!

JHolm 02-18-2012 04:34 AM

Good morning everyone! Sounds like everyone is still doing well. I don't weight until tomorrow morning again so I'll find out then what I've done with my weight. I've been doing better about snacking. I did have sugar free chocolate on Valentine's Day but I did count the points in my WW and I didn't go over so when it was all said and done I was relieved.

Hubby and I go to our Log Cabin class at the local quilt class today. I'm making a fat skinny wall hanging and hubby is making a traditional king size bed cover. We are really enjoyong ourselfs quilting together. I finished the nine blocks I need for my wallhanging so it's lay out the design and put it together. The quilt my hubby is working on still needs 30 more blocks so he has a way to go but I help him measure & cut so it's going alright.

The weatherman has been predicting freezing rain and snow but so far all we've had is one good day of snow and a couple days of flurries. Not bad.

Oops, I have to run. Time to feed the dogs and give them their medicine.

Have a good day and God Bless.

Jeanne

AtHomeSewing 02-18-2012 09:46 AM

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Gayle! Your progress is wonderful!

Irishrose, thanks so much for the words of encouragement. You must have waved a magic wand, because my scale is moving again! Thank You!

Jlwheart, I agree with you about the cost of “tv” now. Not only that, it seems that the reruns and infomercials take up the majority of what pay tv has to offer. I was noticing that many good shows are available over the internet for free. The ABC website posts all of their shows for free!

Everose 02-18-2012 01:08 PM

Went to the JoAnn's store here today. They will be opening a new store in March so are selling everything in the old one. I didn't need any more but fabric was 50% off and thread 75% off so I picked up some fun pieces.

Tried on a pair of jeans in a size smaller than I have been wearing. GUESS WHAT??? They fit. So keep trying those those clothes. I kept saying a few more pounds and they will fit. So now I can't wait to see what other things will fit again.

Have a good weekend.

Irishrose, I picked up one fabric for my spicy swirl. Can't wait until I get the pattern.

Jim's Gem 02-18-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Everose (Post 4986526)
Went to the JoAnn's store here today. They will be opening a new store in March so are selling everything in the old one. I didn't need any more but fabric was 50% off and thread 75% off so I picked up some fun pieces.

Tried on a pair of jeans in a size smaller than I have been wearing. GUESS WHAT??? They fit. So keep trying those those clothes. I kept saying a few more pounds and they will fit. So now I can't wait to see what other things will fit again.

Have a good weekend.

Irishrose, I picked up one fabric for my spicy swirl. Can't wait until I get the pattern.

Congratulations on getting into a smaller size. My pants are all getting really loose. I went thru my closet and pulled out the next smaller size and got them all washed up and can wear them too. Isn't it exciting!!!!

irishrose 02-18-2012 07:13 PM

I had to smile when I read about wearing the next smaller size for two reasons. 1) because I'm pleased for both of you and 2) because I HAD to wear my smallest size corduroys today. My normal size black ones have disappeared. I'm not sure how that happened this week. This morning when getting ready to spend the day out of town with an old friend, those pants were nowhere to be found. I already had on a bright red sweater so I needed dark pants. I found a pair of very dark green ones a size smaller. They fit okay, but I prefer the other fit, especially for sitting in the car.

Gayle, adhering to your diet and doing as much exercise as you can do is paying off. How exciting! Your quilt retreat sounds like fun. I just looked up the school colors for my GS's college. Silver, gold and black. What?? My days of sewing with silver lame are over so that may be a tricky combo. Fairy Frost??

Connie, good things come to those who wait. The scales will cooperate if we do our part and are patient. Remember that all of use on here currently are females and the hormones have their say on our weight even if we are past a certain age.

Jeanne, put some yummy gum in your mouth to keep the goodies out while you set up coffee hour then carefully choose the two treats you are going to enjoy and savor them. Gum goes back in for clean up time. You are tougher than a bunch of cookies!!!

Everose, I went to JoAnn's today, too (100 mile RT for me). I picked up a couple of fabrics for my next SS though I don't need it until May. This daughter is stuck in the 90s, so it will be teal to pink and burgundy - similar to the one on the cover of the pattern. Not readily available colors these days or in more traditional prints. I also bought batting and some black and whites for a BOM. Not too much. Oh, a 9 1/2" square up ruler while they were 50% off.

Dinner was at Cracker Barrel. Too greasy for my tastes. I hope I only pay for it with pounds, not another gall bladder attack. I walked the dogs this morning and a few minutes ago so that should count for something.

The person I went with had a giant Hershey's kiss for me. I can live without Hershey's chocolate - it's a good thing Dove doesn't make one - but what am I going to do with it?

Tomorrow is Sunday, a lovely day to set a goal for the week. A while back, MJ (purplemen) told us that,
"If you want to meet a goal, you have to have a plan.
Failure to plan means planning to fail."

What is your goal for the week and how are you going to meet it?

I
am losing weight and getting healthier.

blondeslave 02-19-2012 04:39 AM

"If you want to meet a goal, you have to have a plan.
Failure to plan means planning to fail."

Wise words. Glenn thinks I'm cuckoo but I meal plan 3 or more days ahead(just dinner). I'm about to throw half a turkey breast in the oven for dinner tonight and lunch or dinner for me a couple of nights. I have tilapia for tomorrow night and will also cook an oven stuffer chicken tomorrow to make sure I have easy access to acceptable protein on the 1st phase of the 17 day diet. If allowed foods are always ready I am more likely to reach for them instead of something else. As soon as the turkey goes in I am off to the gym. Planning to start lifting again tomorrow.

meanmom 02-19-2012 05:16 PM

I went to a family party today for brunch. We had biscuits and gravy, caramel rolls, egg casserole, coffee cake, and fruit salad. I was pretty bad, but it could have been worse. The biscuits and grave was low fat. I make turkey sausage out of 97% lean ground turkey and use skim milk. Biscuits etc were not low fat. I had 100 calorie soup for dinner. O am off tomorrow so I will need to work out extra. I made my nephew a tetris quilt that he begged for. He was really surprised and loved it. I finished it Saturday night. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage today. Tomorrow is a new day.

Pam H 02-19-2012 06:37 PM

I have found that I need to lose about 15 lbs to go down a size in pants. Congrats to those of you who have accomplished that. My day is coming.
Family get togethers are fun and nice but too often fattening. I am going to visit my mom in Florida on thursday and stay for 10 days. I already warned my sister, who will also be visiting, that we will be working out every day. Hopefully we will keep each other motivated for both exercise and eating right. My mom has been on a diet since the 70's (tops) so she shouldn't mind too much if we try for a healthy eating vacation. We usually eat strawberry shortcake every day when I am there since it is strawberry season. This year might have to be strawberries and vanilla yogurt.
I have been doing really well getting my 10,000 steps in each day. It has been almost 3 weeks and I think there were only 2 days I didn't make it. Some days I get 12-13,000.
Last week was a bad one for me with migraines. We had 3 different low pressure fronts come through bringing storms and also headaches for me. They still really need the rain here in Texas, though, so that part is good.
I am working on a quilt for my daughter. It is a kit that I bought with 5 - 1 yd cuts of fabric with a choice of 4 patterns to use. I love the fabrics which are browns and blues but for some reason I am not crazy about the quilt. It is a 4-patch and rail fence. I will try to post a picture when I get it all put together. I'm kind of wishing I had gone with a disappearing 9-patch.

irishrose 02-19-2012 08:42 PM

meanmom. it's OKAY. You need a feast day so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. You just had yours so now you can eat carefully for the next five or six days, then feast again.

I don't know where I'm at today. I don't think I ate that much but I didn't eat at regular times or regular food. I baked a friend his pre Lenten chocolate feast. I had a small piece, but the rest is at his house so I can't get into it. Melt a bag of good chocolate chips, stir in a can of sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla. Bake on a cookie crust (not my share). You might as well open up a vein and pour the chocolate in. Another friend calls them Hip Padder Bars. Also had a b'day party for a grandchild and another for a great grand child. I certainly didn't follow a plan today, but things will be back to normal tomorrow.

Pam, I'm still not liking the snowball and nine patch for my daughter. I really think I cut the snowballs too small. I liked the last one with larger snowballs. I hope the column of appliqued flowers dresses it up. I'm ready to start those. I cleaned the machine I needed for the applique. I put on the rewired motor and now I can't find the belt. Grr. Is it hiding with the lost corduroys?? If your quilt needs something, can you set it on point? Didn't work with the sb/9p, but I can see it working with the 4p/rf.

Have a healthy eating day tomorrow. I have an article to write for the church newsletter and heaven help me if I'm a few minutes late, so good night, all.