Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   First Ever Gingher Scissors! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/first-ever-gingher-scissors-t202507.html)

Nanamoms 10-06-2012 05:56 PM

First Ever Gingher Scissors!

I just purchased from Joanne's my first pair of Gingher Scissors. I've never owned an expensive pair of scissors and was so tired of my Fiskars not cutting well. I bought the Knife-Edge 7" Dressmaker Shears and yes, they cut so smoothly. But, they are so stiff that they are uncomfortable to cut with. Do I need to "oil" them or just continue to use them until they loosen up??

patski 10-06-2012 06:34 PM

yes put a drop of oil where the screw is, be sure to clean them off before cutting so you won't get oil stains. I have some I bought about 7 years ago, just get them sharpened every couple of years

Jan in VA 10-06-2012 06:39 PM

As you use them they will "soften up".
When you have them sharpened, send them to Ginghers in North Carolina (google them for address and how-to). They are inexpensive, professional, and quick.

Jan in VA

Joset 10-07-2012 05:57 AM

i own three gingher sissors. oh my i love them.

Bobbielinks 10-07-2012 07:41 AM

I bought my one and only pair of Gingher scissors in the early 1980's when I was into clothing construction. I think I paid $12 for them and thought that was very expensive for a pair of scissors. I used them a LOT back then and still pull them out when I need to cut fabric with scissors. It was the best $12 I have ever spent on sewing notions! They have never been sharpened, but I do keep them well guarded from any manly hands that think they need to cut something besides fabric.

true4uca 10-07-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by patski (Post 5567238)
yes put a drop of oil where the screw is, be sure to clean them off before cutting so you won't get oil stains. I have some I bought about 7 years ago, just get them sharpened every couple of years

I have a pair as well. They are so stiff I need to use both hands to open them. DH tried them and they are really stiff.There's no screw to loosen. They are sharp but useless to me. I've had them a year, I keep working them hoping they will loosen up a tad.

gollytwo 10-07-2012 09:34 AM

I have many gingher scissors, most were gifts and never used. I disliked the one I bought so much, never used them again - first off - they're way too heavy.
I'm a Fiskars lady.

Sandra in Minnesota 10-07-2012 11:21 AM

As I am getting older (aren't we all) my arthritis in my hand is getting worse, and I find it getting more difficult to use my beloved Ginghers. They are too heavy, so it's back to Fiskars.

Teacup 10-08-2012 02:51 AM

I've never tried Gingher but I love my Mundials pair. Got them when all cutting items were 50% off and they weren't very expensive. They are "softies" with the cushioned handle, and are lightweight to use.

coopah 10-08-2012 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 5568785)
As I am getting older (aren't we all) my arthritis in my hand is getting worse, and I find it getting more difficult to use my beloved Ginghers. They are too heavy, so it's back to Fiskars.

Check your sewing stores. I have a pair of Ginghers that have hardly any weight to them. The outside is a black plastic and that may put you off, but trust me, these are the scissors I hide. Not all Ginghers are heavy.