Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fruit Flys (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fruit-flys-t50741.html)

grammyp 06-21-2010 07:35 PM

Let us know which works best. Bet the kids didn't expect science experiments this summer.

reach for the stars 2 06-21-2010 07:54 PM

I don't leave the fruit or vegs. out anymore and put up those sticky hanging things. They look ugly but do the job. I think I went through a box o 2 last year.

raptureready 06-21-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Have had fruit flies in the lab and they tend to travel home (what a pain). The best trap I have used so far is to set out a short glass with apple cider vinegar and place either a small spouted funnel on top (spout downward but not actually touching the vinegar) or you can make a paper cone with a small opening at the tip. The little flies are lured inside with the vinegar (apple cider does work best at least for me) and get inside but have a hard time getting out. Eventually they drown.

Most gas stations like Casey's, America, Exxon, etc. have small paper cones (free) for putting oil in your car, would those work?

Rebecca VLQ 06-22-2010 04:11 AM

I need this! I have a few that are driving us nuts, and some fruits like peaches I just REFUSE to put in the fridge! They grow outside when it's warm, and the fridge does something to them.

So....vinegar concoction....check! I'll let you know how it goes!

CarrieAnne 06-22-2010 04:15 AM

Put a ripe banana peel in a bread bag, and leave it open. They will go in the bag, so leave it open all night. Then seal bag and toss em. Takes several nights of doing this to get them all!

kuntryquilter 06-22-2010 04:16 AM

My Orkin guy told me to put a tablespoon full of bleach down every drain in the house, including the bathtub/shower drains & overflow holes on bathroom lavatories. This is where they breed. He said to put it down the drain before you go to bed at night, DO NOT run any water, until the next moring. This will wipe out their breeding gound. Try to avoid getting the bleach on the chrome parts, remove them, if possible.

littlehud 06-22-2010 07:27 AM

I need to try these tips. I have the sticky ribbons but I'm trying the vinegar today.

craftybear 06-25-2010 01:56 AM

cool idea

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Put a ripe banana peel in a bread bag, and leave it open. They will go in the bag, so leave it open all night. Then seal bag and toss em. Takes several nights of doing this to get them all!

craftybear 06-25-2010 01:56 AM

did you get rid of the flys yet?

Rebecca VLQ 06-27-2010 06:55 AM

I did the vinegar trick! It *sooooo* works! :D

What I did is take a short (rocks) glass, put about 1/4 inch of apple cider vinegar in the bottom, covered with plastic wrap, then poked 5 or so holes with a ball point pen. The first day there was about a dozen in there. I changed the vinegar and then I went out of town, but DH said there was a few more in there, and I don't see any more buzzing around! This was seriously a lifesaver! I put the "trap" right next to the counter where I have a tray for tomatoes, and "warm" fruits like peaches and mangoes.