Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   fruit trees (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fruit-trees-t102195.html)

cla8655 02-22-2011 08:47 PM

I planted apples, pear, cherry and peach trees, but the first fuits disappears and lots of pest or flies shows and I think that is killing the fruit, has any one gone thru that before, I need advice, thanks in advance. clara

Cyn 02-22-2011 08:50 PM

We have a yard service and they check with the home extention dept for these kinds of things.

jemma 02-22-2011 08:51 PM

check out compaion planting+ organic orchard

Ramona Byrd 02-22-2011 09:03 PM

I would get some Diatomaceous earth, food quality, and dissolve it in water, spray it on the fruit trees from first fruit showing to full ripeness. Probably every 3 weeks or so. It will dry and leave what looks like baby powder on the trees. I put it on all my veggies and it seems to kill a lot of any unwanted insect visitors. DE and boric acid, those are my first line of defense from insects.
Under a microscope it looks like broken glass, it cuts and dehydrates insects. I rub it on the back of my cats' necks for fleas. I also put a dab of it in some of their water and mix some in canned cat food used for treats. This is for intestinal bugs. Wouldn't hurt me to ingest some of it either, which I would first, before chemicals should an MD tell me I had some worms inside.

Ramona Byrd 02-22-2011 09:07 PM

Also remember to add quite a bit of Epsom Salt to all your soil. This is NOT a sodium, but a magnesium supplement. This is only one of the elements that has been used and not replaced in our soil. All plants seem to love it, and my DH, a nurseryman, bought it in 50 pound bags to use on everything on the place. He brought it home and used it on all our plants, and the lemon tree out back loves it. Makes the skin thinner, fruit larger, juice sweeter. DH would take handfuls of it and hurl it around to make it look like a brief snowfall. Then water it in.

Prism99 02-22-2011 09:17 PM

Where I live (WI), I think you are supposed to spray fruit trees with oil before blooming, to kill pests. Have you Googled fruit trees in your area? You will likely find a lot of good info about this type of thing.

cla8655 02-23-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Also remember to add quite a bit of Epsom Salt to all your soil. This is NOT a sodium, but a magnesium supplement. This is only one of the elements that has been used and not replaced in our soil. All plants seem to love it, and my DH, a nurseryman, bought it in 50 pound bags to use on everything on the place. He brought it home and used it on all our plants, and the lemon tree out back loves it. Makes the skin thinner, fruit larger, juice sweeter. DH would take handfuls of it and hurl it around to make it look like a brief snowfall. Then water it in.

and were do I buy that product?

cla8655 02-23-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Where I live (WI), I think you are supposed to spray fruit trees with oil before blooming, to kill pests. Have you Googled fruit trees in your area? You will likely find a lot of good info about this type of thing.

no I have not google it, i will do so , what kind of oil do you use?

Ramona Byrd 02-23-2011 08:22 PM

and were do I buy that product?[/quote]
----------------
Good old fashioned Epsom Salt? Almost any place. Grocery stores, CostCo, drug stores, etc. It's used mostly for soaking painful bodies, it's very good for that. Soak your feet in hot Epsom Salt water, then dump the cooled water on your flowers. Do them both good, feet and flowers.

This is even found in plastic bottles of drinking water, in the ones called mineral water. The mineral mostly used is Magnesium Sulfate, which translates to good old Epsom Salt!~
Does well in salves for rough skin, etc. Lots of uses for this mineral.

cla8655 02-23-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
and were do I buy that product?

----------------
Good old fashioned Epsom Salt? Almost any place. Grocery stores, CostCo, drug stores, etc. It's used mostly for soaking painful bodies, it's very good for that. Soak your feet in hot Epsom Salt water, then dump the cooled water on your flowers. Do them both good, feet and flowers.

This is even found in plastic bottles of drinking water, in the ones called mineral water. The mineral mostly used is Magnesium Sulfate, which translates to good old Epsom Salt!~
Does well in salves for rough skin, etc. Lots of uses for this mineral.[/quote]

I will get it tomorrow, thanks