Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Frustrated with fleece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/frustrated-fleece-t93779.html)

buckyfan19 01-25-2011 12:14 PM

What is up with all of the fleece available. I go to some web sites and stores (only ones I have available to me), and they have a huge section and selection of fleece, but kind of a poor selection for quilting fabric! Ugh, I am not feeling the love of fleece.
Okay, venting done. Thanks!

clem55 01-25-2011 12:23 PM

I'Ve felt the same! And bet I know which store you speak of. I'd love nice quilting cottons, but would also like better fashion fabrics. All I see are basically fleese and furniture!

amma 01-25-2011 12:25 PM

I really notice this when looking for licensed fabrics :D:D:D

buckyfan19 01-25-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I really notice this when looking for licensed fabrics :D:D:D

Exactly! I am working on collecting Disney/Mickey mouse fabric for a project I have in mind, and I search and search... then find a GREAT fabric, only to find it is fleece. I wonder why that is.

marknfran 01-25-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by buckyfan19
What is up with all of the fleece available. I go to some web sites and stores (only ones I have available to me), and they have a huge section and selection of fleece, but kind of a poor selection for quilting fabric! Ugh, I am not feeling the love of fleece.
Okay, venting done. Thanks!

I agree; does it cost so much more to make quilting fabric?
Aren't fleece fabrics polyester? Maybe with the increase in cotton the manufacturers are going polyester?

lilithcat 01-25-2011 12:52 PM

I think fleece is so popular right now because it is non-sewer friendly. The ends really don't need finished and it can be glued and tied or a simple whip stitch used to produce cool looking hand made gifts.

bearisgray 01-25-2011 01:18 PM

I feel that way about flannel - I see an adorable print that would work well in an I Spy type quilt - and it's FLANNEL! :hunf:

Maggiemay 01-25-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by lilithcat
I think fleece is so popular right now because it is non-sewer friendly. The ends really don't need finished and it can be glued and tied or a simple whip stitch used to produce cool looking hand made gifts.

I agree about being non-sewer friendly. It is a way to get people into stores & make a purchase. When I was in the fabric industry 25 yrs ago home ec was still being taught (mandatory most of the time) in schools & kids would come in for project supplies. Now, I don't think there are as many new sewers & quilters & the stores have to make money somehow. It irritates me how much space is taken up by fleece in the stores & I have to hunt for the quilting fabric!

butter14562 01-25-2011 01:46 PM

Yes, I feel your pain.At Jo anns they also have so much.I went in a couple days ago to find some simple quilting fabric.And came out with one piece for the project. Butter