Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Garage/Yard/Rummage Sale Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/garage-yard-rummage-sale-suggestions-t225805.html)

bearisgray 07-14-2013 02:18 PM

Garage/Yard/Rummage Sale Suggestions

I know there are people that plan their shopping ahead of time - but I am one usually 'follows the arrows'

* Have your signs LEGIBLE from a distance - In fact, have a BIG arrow - with the point really big - at the top of the sign. I have trouble seeing/reading signs from a distance. (Although my DH who can spot an airplane at 5000 feet NEVER seems to be able to even SEE a garage sale sign!) An address is okay to put on the sign, but it's not the first thing I want to see.

I usually am unfamiliar with the area that I'm in - so an address is totally meaningless to me. And a two inch arrow at the very bottom of a cluttered sign with half-inch high pointer is worthless. By the time I figured out where I should have gone - I've missed the intersection, or I'm in the wrong lane.

* I like the idea of a given sale having the 'same' signs all the way to the sale stage.

* If your location is in a place with a lot of y-streets - arrows pointing the way are very helpful.

* Put a clear plastic bag over the sign if it's been rainy. Also, try to use two posts so that the wind won't blow it away or twist the sign.

* I have heard of people taking signs down - so if you can - check on your signs once in a while to make sure they are still there.

* Have your stuff clean and displayed neatly. Unless you are willing to let the stuff go very cheaply. I am willing to pay more for clean stuff than dirty stuff.

* Have things marked. If you are planning to have a drastic reduction on the last day, perhaps a sign indicating that would be helpful.

* If you are going to allow early birds to shop - maybe charge them more? I feel cheated when the ad says the hours are 8 - 4, I get there at 7:30 and I see people leaving the sale with bags and bags in their hands.

* It's also helpful to have similar things grouped together - craft stuff together, puzzles/games together, etc.

* If possible, have clothes hanging up - and not overly crowded. It's more fun to look if I can actually see the garment without several of them coming out with the one I want to see. It will also mean less refolding of garments for the seller!

*Try not to have things where people will trip over them or hit their heads on them.

* Acknowledge a potential buyer when he/she shows up.

*Take the signs down when the sale is over! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

chips88 07-14-2013 02:28 PM

amen to all the above..:)

valleyquiltermo 07-14-2013 02:33 PM

Very good advice

Prism99 07-14-2013 03:27 PM

Great advice! I don't shop garage sales anymore (trying to clean out house for selling next year) but, when I did, all of those suggestions would have helped me buy more!

SherriB 07-14-2013 05:56 PM

We had a successful yard sale a few weeks ago and uses many of those suggestions. One that I think is most important is please take down your signs when your sale is over.

mighty 07-15-2013 05:40 AM

Great advice!

jeaninmaine 07-16-2013 03:55 AM

I agree with all of your suggestions but do like to see a street address so if worse comes to worse I can plug it into the GPS.

nonda 07-16-2013 04:01 AM

and PLEASE, put your signs on the side of the road where you need to turn! My pet peeve is seeing a garage sale sign from a distance, getting in the lane to turn and the danged sale being the other direction!!!!!!

quiltinghere 07-16-2013 04:05 AM

All of those are GREAT suggestions! like arrows, cleanliness, prices, hours and ESPECIALLY the second to the last, ACKNOWLEDGE the people showing up to your sale. I can't believe the number of times, *I'M* the one saying 'hello' first...while they sit there and talk on the phone.

I'll add - how about a 'Thank You' or "Thanks for stopping" - whether or not I buy.

carolynjo 07-16-2013 07:57 AM

When I refused to allow a man to shop at a garage sale until the posted time, he tried to run over me!!!