Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Geneology (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/geneology-t166057.html)

ssnare 11-04-2011 01:51 PM

Geneology

Anyone interested in genelogy? I have done it for 14 years. Maybe I can help you.

Treasureit 11-04-2011 01:54 PM

I love my family history and have worked at ours from time to time. It is a little like quilting...very addicting..I can't get into it right now because of all the things I have going on, but when I do...I just love it! It amazes me what is out there! I found out that my Great Grandfather was a Mayor...of a very small town, but I have a picture of him from a newspaper! I think it is very exciting!

I will check back here to see how many are doing this...

Panchita 11-04-2011 02:52 PM

I've done genealogy for probably the past 15 years - I agree with Treasureit, it's addictive!

KarenSimon 11-04-2011 03:09 PM

My dad had done much on our family from the 1960s. I started working on my husband's because he didn't know much about a grandfather. He was born in 1861 and died in 1908. All we knew was his name. With my searching I found his parents' names and that he had 7 siblings. I found many cousins both in the US and Canada. I have queries posted on several sites trying to find more.

Quiltbeagle 11-04-2011 03:20 PM

I'm trying to find my roots but since I have very little to go by I'm finding it hard to find anything without going to those sites you have to pay for. Maybe we need a genealogy board, too? I have no idea how to get any information about my grandfather (born in the 1880's) or my grandmother. All I have is their names and the day they each died. I'd love to have some help!

oksewglad 11-04-2011 03:23 PM

What is your specialty in genealogy? What type of searching (locations, etc) are you particulary adept at? Thank you for your kind offer.
I have been working on my husband's paternal line. I have been able to trace back to the early 1800's and hit a snag. By "Googling" a live relative's name I was able to contact another branch of the tree and have been having a grand time communicating with the relative's daughter. She's filling me in on personal stories. Because her history has come down by family ties and mine is coming through news, census and military on line searches we have something to share with each other.

Glenda m 11-04-2011 04:47 PM

Right now I have the nice lady in Waco looking for my mom's bio parents. Everything was (we think) handled by the delivering doctor, so not holding out much hope. And yes, addictive!!!!!

genafan201 11-04-2011 06:42 PM

I'm an off and on-er...I'll work on some research for a bit, then stop. Family Tree Maker has FINALLY come out with a version for Mac, so I'm working on getting all my stuff moved over. I did just purchase a book called "Dollarhide Numbering for Genealogists". I've yet to find a numbering system that would encompass ALL family members, not just direct ancestors, so I'm hoping this is what I need. My biggest hurdle is staying organized...I get off on a tear and EVERYTHING just sort of piles up...Hopefully between the new numbering system and converting to FTM for Mac will get me back on track :)

Jingle 11-04-2011 06:59 PM

Our oldest Daughter worked several years on ours, she managed to find get a picture of my Great Grandparents from a distant cousin in Canada. No way could I have gotten it any other way. We learned so much about our ancesters, Grand kids are not interested now, maybe when they get older.

Vicki W 11-04-2011 07:35 PM

I have been doing genealogy for some time. I love it. :)