Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Glasstop Stove (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/glasstop-stove-t274237.html)

true4uca 01-07-2016 09:28 AM

Glasstop Stove

I bought new fridge & stove. Never owned a glass top stove before. I'll need to buy new pots , so which ones do I buy. I've always bought non-stick before & I do like them, any ideas. A few years ago I bought a good set of non-stick, they are going to the thrift store.
Looking forward to getting my new French door fridge. I really hate my black one. Seems I'm always cracking my head on the freezer door handle and 8 years is long enough to know I'll never get used to it. Before I've always had a side by side. No room here for one.

patricej 01-07-2016 11:09 AM

why do you need new pots & pans?
are the ones you have worn out?
or are you worried about their weight?

i didn't buy new when i got a glass-top range.
i just trained myself to be more careful with the ones i had/have.
as long as you don't slam them down on the burners or drag them around the surface, they should be just fine.

fayeberry 01-07-2016 11:17 AM

I had to get new pots and pans for my glass top stove as the old ones didn't sit flat on the surface. Buy the kind you prefer. Be careful with cast iron due to weight.

mike'sgirl 01-07-2016 11:19 AM

I use castiron on mine. As long as it doesn't crash onto the glass, its fine.

jbud2 01-07-2016 12:33 PM

I use cast iron skillets on my top, too. I have had Teflon or non stick skillets but they seem to warp over time.

Onebyone 01-07-2016 01:01 PM

I bought a new Maytag glass top not long ago. I was promised by the store rep the top would not turn black on the burner circles. After a while the circles turned black and looked awful. I took a picture and showed Sears. I was told So What, it still cooks fine. Not our problem. I contacted Maytag and got the same response. I didn't buy the stove to look ugly after use. Maytag and Sears lost a customer who changes out appliances often.

suern3 01-07-2016 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7426875)
I bought a new Maytag glass top not long ago. I was promised by the store rep the top would not turn black on the burner circles. After a while the circles turned black and looked awful. I took a picture and showed Sears. I was told So What, it still cooks fine. Not our problem. I contacted Maytag and got the same response. I didn't buy the stove to look ugly after use. Maytag and Sears lost a customer who changes out appliances often.

Just curious- can the black rings not be removed with glass-top stove cleaner? I've had a GE glass top stove for over 10 years and have not had this happen. Not to say they don't get burned on areas, but it cleans up following the instructions with the stove, including a razor blade to scrap off the most stubborn areas.

suern3 01-07-2016 03:56 PM

I don't understand why you can't use your "good set of non-stick pans". My glass top doesn't require special pans, other than a warped pan will be hard to use on the flat surface. I use various kinds of pans including Revere Wear with aluminum bottoms, Caphalon(sp) and cast iron. The only thing I know of that you can't use is glass pans which I don't know if they even make anymore.

Sewnoma 01-07-2016 04:33 PM

I had to buy several new pans when I got a glass top, because a lot of mine had deformed in the heat over the years and had curved bottoms. They were good quality pans too - it just happens.

Pans are something I think you mostly get what you pay for, so if you cook a lot be prepared to spend a lot. If you hardly ever cook, you should hardly spend anything. I really enjoy cooking so I buy pans one at a time so I can get nice ones without breaking the bank. My collection is mostly Calphalon and All-Clad but I'll buy any brand that seems sturdy and well-made. They don't match but they're all very functional!

(I don't use non-stick so I don't have any specific recommendations, sorry!)

CRO 01-07-2016 04:36 PM

I use cast iron almost exclusively on mine with no problem