Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Got a job - and in Michigan (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/got-job-michigan-t56703.html)

carrieg 07-28-2010 04:06 PM

I got a full-time, permament job, with benefits! Woo Hoo!

I was laid off in February, had a 40hr/wk temp job during June. Worked there 3 weeks, gave them 1 week's notice and started my new job this week. The people are all so nice here.

It's definitely less money, but great benefits. Less money here only means less stress and responsibility. At this stage in my life, that is just fine with me. The gal who was laid off on the same day as me also got a job a couple weeks ago. Hers is with a county government. Mine is in a school system's accounting dept.

If you're out of work, keep plugging away. If you're in Michigan, there's some hope.

virtualbernie 07-28-2010 04:09 PM

I'm happy for you! :thumbup: It's hard to find a job nowadays.

ksea 07-28-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg

I was laid off in February, had a 40hr/wk temp job during June. Worked there 3 weeks, gave them 1 week's notice and started my new job this week. The people are all so nice here.

It's definitely less money, but great benefits. Less money here only means less stress and responsibility. At this stage in my life, that is just fine with me. The gal who was laid off on the same day as me also got a job a couple weeks ago. Hers is with a county government. Mine is in a school system's accounting dept.

If you're out of work, keep plugging away. If you're in Michigan, there's some hope.

I live in Grand Rapids MI and jobs are really hard to find here, in Dec I will graduate with an associates in Accounting, Marketing and in Business Administration, I hope I can find a job in the new year.

Granna of 5 07-28-2010 04:14 PM

That is definitely good news. Congrats!!!!

carrieg 07-28-2010 04:15 PM

In the months I was off, I did have interviews with about 6 different places. My temp job was at a very busy place, in the medical supply field.

I have always felt that visualizing what you want really does help. It sure can't hurt! LOL

Lilaciris 07-28-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg

I'm doing the happy dance for you right now !!!!

I have been laid off since January of 2008 and I only have part-time job at Joann's. I would be happy with a full-time job even if it was less money. At least it would be 40 hours a week.

Congratulations !!!!!!

pgthom 07-28-2010 04:33 PM

Congrats Carol! I'm in "the 'Zoo" and jobs are scarce here too. Not as bad as other parts of the state tho'. We just returned from up north, dismayed at all the empty storefronts and for sale signs. Hope this proves to be a great job for you. Penny

carrieg 07-28-2010 04:43 PM

Peggy
My temp job I just quit was at the BTR park in Kazoo. I think they hire some of their warehouse/factory people through another temp place. They're in the medical field. The job I just started is 35 miles west of you.

Jim's Gem 07-28-2010 04:45 PM

Congratulations on the new job!!!

NauDeeGal 07-28-2010 04:53 PM

Congrats! That is great news for YOU and Michigan, too! :thumbup: