Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Graduation party suggestions/help/ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/graduation-party-suggestions-help-ideas-t21232.html)

judy_68 06-11-2009 04:57 PM

Hello everybody,
I am having my sons graduation party on June 27th and would love to hear any suggestions any of you have as to what to serve. Im making sloppy joe, shredded chicken, sliced ham, and barbecue pork. I just thought maybe some of you would have ideas that I haven't thought about. I would also love to hear some of your recipes for macaroni salad. I have never made it myself and am planning on making it for the party.
Thank you all so much,
Judy in Ohio

julie 06-11-2009 05:04 PM

We just hosted our niece's party this last Sunday. Along with hot chicken and cold ham sandwiches, we had cauliflower salad, baked beans, noodles (our German heritage), relish trays and fresh fruit. My niece wanted a cheesecake, so my sister bought one at a bakery, and also had cupcakes. Can't help with the macaroni salad. I've never made it either. The main thing is have fun. Good luck!

QuiltMania 06-11-2009 05:32 PM

Macaroni Salad Recipe

Cooked Elbow Macaroni
Canned Tuna
Chopped Onion
Chopped Celery
Miracle Whip

(I don't really measure. Just kind of dump it all in until it looks right.)

Mix first 4 ingredients together. Mix in Miracle Whip until the mixture is as "wet" as you like.

tlrnhi 06-11-2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Macaroni Salad Recipe

Cooked Elbow Macaroni
Canned Tuna
Chopped Onion
Chopped Celery
Miracle Whip

(I don't really measure. Just kind of dump it all in until it looks right.)

Mix first 4 ingredients together. Mix in Miracle Whip until the mixture is as "wet" as you like.

That's my recipe too, but I use MAYO. I also dice up potatoes and put that in there along with some shredded carrot.

MadQuilter 06-11-2009 06:47 PM

My MIL makes a mean maccaroni salad:

Cooked small elbows
chopped black olives
chopped red pimento
finely chopped red onion
sweet pickle relish
Mayo
salt, pepper to taste.

PrettyKitty 06-12-2009 01:53 AM

Jelly! Or as you call it in the US, Jello. With fruit in it. YUM!

Up North 06-12-2009 02:46 AM

We have Maccaroni salad about once a week since I learned to make it a better way.
cooked maccaroni we use small shells I use a 1 pound box
1/2 cup frozen peas throw in with the cooking maccaroni for a few minutes drain and chill
1/4 cup chipped onion
Celery chopped
I can Tuna drained
dressing- Make extra as it soaks it up
Mirical Whip about 2 cups
1Tabl. Lemon Juice
2 Tabl. Sugar
1Teasp. Pepper
stir all together and serve, If you are going to refrigerate it I suggest having extra dressing made to stir in just before serving

pocoellie 06-12-2009 04:18 AM

I thought everyone has made macaroni salad. My recipe is: macaroni, pickle relish, eggs, onions, mayo and a touch of mustard, salt & pepper. I also don't measure. Hope you have fun.

dvseals 06-12-2009 05:00 AM

I don't do "macaroni" salad I do pasta salad same thing just diff name lol

Anyway I don't measure either, I just toss stuff in LOL so add as much or as little as you like

Cooked small shells drained and chilled (1 lb box is enuff)
black olives sliced/chopped
carrots fresh shredded
peas (fresh frozen or canned whichever you have)
tomatoes cut into small pieces
cheese shredded ( I use colby jack)
bacon bits ( I use hormel "real" bacon bits)
Ranch dressing mix
mayo or miracle whip (Whichever your gang prefers)

Mix all ingredients
follow ranch mix directions omitting the milk and add extra cup of mayo
You can omit anything in above list you don't like and it still is yummy :)

Barbm 06-12-2009 11:46 AM

For each of my kids I made a poster of them growing up. The best one was the youngest kindergarten graduation pic next to his high school one. I put out their diploma and some awards and trophies and ribbons they've won. I also pull out the "sappy" homemade Mother's Day cards I've saved.

A bit of embarrasment on their part, but it's so much fun to reminisce over how they've grown up (and a few tears for Mom as her baby becomes an adult :( ).

We put on their cake- the college name- her she/he comes! It's a way to say they're still not ready to fly solo.

I also put out photo albums for people to look through.

We also do karaoke since I have some super wild sisters. And dance (after the fuddy duddies go home). It ends up being memorable for the kids. I make the friends stay over and do a big breakfast the next morning too.

I love having parties for my kids!

oh- food- I always make chocolate chip cookies and rice krispie treats (recipe on the side of the box) and have red licorice. For whatever reason, my kids think they are party foods.