Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Grama's Apron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gramas-apron-t20835.html)

amma 06-01-2009 01:11 PM

The History of 'APRONS'

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ' old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron

Ninnie 06-01-2009 01:25 PM

Very cute amma, and I remember grandma's apron! Nice memory!

Ninnie

ania755 06-01-2009 03:29 PM

:D I really enjoy reading it...Especially now...that I need to get me a new one..... :D :D

gaigai 06-01-2009 03:45 PM

Amma, somewhere I saw a quilt made from aprons. I'll have to see if I can find it again. I have a bunch of my grandmothers aprons, and I can still feel the love!

amma 06-01-2009 05:30 PM

Both of my gramas loved their aprons...I had to look twice sometimes because I almost didn't recognize them without them :D

k3n 06-01-2009 11:57 PM

That's lovely Amma!

K x

Kj05 06-02-2009 03:59 AM

That's wonderful. I love hearing things like that.

littlehud 06-02-2009 07:34 PM

That was great. I'm sure the aprons were sanitized with love.

Mousie 06-03-2009 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
That was great. I'm sure the aprons were sanitized with love.

here, here!
I wear aprons...like the bib kind, and the little skirt kind with pockets.
I guess my gbabies will someday see this, and think of me, in my apron...how sweet! :D

Ducky 06-03-2009 08:08 AM

My Grandmother lived with us for awhile when I was young, and always wore an apron. I think the only times she took it off were for church and going to bed. The thing I remember most, and it is a cherished memory, was that out of the blue, she'd say, "You know, you've been a good girl today, so why don't you check my magic pocket." There would be a piece of candy in the pocket of her apron. We never had candy sitting around when I was a kid, we never saw my Grandmother put it in her pocket, and we could never figure out how it got there. Her apron truly had a magic pocket to us. It still makes me smile -- and I may carry on the tradition. :)