Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Grandparents raising grandchildren (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/grandparents-raising-grandchildren-t58659.html)

tonnadesigns 08-09-2010 05:39 PM

To any of you out there who are raising your grandchildren, I just want you to know I admire you, greatly!!!!! I am 47 years old and recently kept a friend's grandchildren she is raising for the night. I was so exhausted when they left! I seriously do not know how a person does this!

Deb watkins 08-09-2010 05:40 PM

Well, there are days we don't know how we do it either....ask me, been there, still doing it.

Maride 08-09-2010 05:48 PM

I am 47 also and have a 7 year old son. Some days I am not sure I will make it. Luckily I have two older kids who help keep him busy.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 08-09-2010 06:32 PM

i am 65 raising 4, and today I took the 13 yr old boy tubing down the creek. I didn't tube, but let him off and then drove a ways down the street and waited for him to drift by. but was very nervous about letting him do it . he is a good swimmer, but you know how it is, he only did it once then found some kids to play with and I was able to sit and look at quilting magazines. You just do things a little different when you get older and raise kids.

KarenSimon 08-09-2010 06:38 PM

I know a lady whose friend recently had her first baby. She is 55 and hubby is 63. Now that takes guts...

bearisgray 08-09-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
I know a lady whose friend recently had her first baby. She is 55 and hubby is 63. Now that takes guts...

Nice to know that they still had/have functioning "equipment" :?

dakotamaid 08-09-2010 06:56 PM

I don't know how the grandparents do it either. I have some friends who are raising their grandkids and I just try to help them out and yes, I'm tired too when they go home but I just think how tired they are some days and anyway I can help I do.

Rebecca VLQ 08-09-2010 07:00 PM

I went to visit a friend today that has a 5 mo old and a 4 year old. I have a 4.5 year old and a 3 year old. I KNOW I'm done having kids, because I about wanted to climb the walls with the little gal, and I'm only 35!!!

mom-6 08-09-2010 07:43 PM

My best friend who is only a couple years older than me (but got a much earlier start on a family) keeps her GGD while GD (who she raised) works, and is planning on homeschooling her this fall. My grandson is 6 months older than her GGD and I'm exhausted any time I keep him and no way in this world would I attempt homeschooling him...he has the attention span of a gnat!

burnsk 08-09-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Well, there are days we don't know how we do it either....ask me, been there, still doing it.

But somehow we do survive. I think it keeps us young.