Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Great Granddaughter's Nightgowns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/great-granddaughters-nightgowns-t86780.html)

Parrothead 01-01-2011 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We are visiting our family in So. Calif. I had not purchased anything for DGGD yet so I asked my daughter (Her Grandma) what she needed. She told me Emery loves nightgowns. This was on Friday night Dec. 17th. So the next few days (in pouring rain) I look in stores for nightgowns, size 4T. Could not find anything. Finally I told my husband if she took me to JoAnn's I could purchase some material and make one a lot easier than looking in more stores. So Thursday, the 23rd, we went to JoAnn's in the morning. I came home and made one Thursday aft. and another one on Friday. She loved them!! I will make some summer ones for her birthday in June. Got to use that $10 pattern a lot!!

Patty Patches 01-01-2011 12:14 PM

So cute,no wonder she loved them

amma 01-01-2011 12:18 PM

Awww these are adorable gowns :D:D:D

kriscraft99 01-01-2011 12:19 PM

those are precious! little girls love night gowns - and I see why she loves those

Prism99 01-01-2011 12:20 PM

The nightgowns are lovely!

You will never find nightgowns like this made out of cotton in stores unless the cotton has been treated with flame retardant. This is because air can reach both sides of the cloth. If the cotton comes into contact with, say, a space heater long enough for combustion to develop, the child will be enveloped in flame before anyone can move to put the fire out. I saw a demo of this on tv. They touched a match to the bottom of a cotton nightgown on a mannequin and the mannequin was engulfed in flames within a couple of seconds. They did the same to a polyester nightgown, and the fabric turned into gummy plastic -- also not good because the plastic is sticky, but at least the garment did not erupt into flames.

Untreated cotton can be sold in children's sleepwear only if the sleepwear is designed to fit close to the skin. In this case, oxygen can reach the fabric only from one side, so brushing against a flame will not result in the child being engulfed in a flash fire.

This is why the bolts ends of flannel in places like JoAnn's are always marked "not suitable for children's sleepwear".

Ramona Byrd 01-01-2011 12:21 PM

These are the sweet ones the Victorian ladies loved. My Grandma used to wear one like this, of course made from feed sacks.

And I'll bet no one can find any made as well in the stores.
------------------------------------------------
Darn, just read the letter above and she makes a very good point.

Parrothead 01-01-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The nightgowns are lovely!

You will never find nightgowns like this made out of cotton in stores unless the cotton has been treated with flame retardant. This is because air can reach both sides of the cloth. If the cotton comes into contact with, say, a space heater long enough for combustion to develop, the child will be enveloped in flame before anyone can move to put the fire out. I saw a demo of this on tv. They touched a match to the bottom of a cotton nightgown on a mannequin and the mannequin was engulfed in flames within a couple of seconds. They did the same to a polyester nightgown, and the fabric turned into gummy plastic -- also not good because the plastic is sticky, but at least the garment did not erupt into flames.

Untreated cotton can be sold in children's sleepwear only if the sleepwear is designed to fit close to the skin. In this case, oxygen can reach the fabric only from one side, so brushing against a flame will not result in the child being engulfed in a flash fire.

This is why the bolts ends of flannel in places like JoAnn's are always marked "not suitable for children's sleepwear".

I have done a lot of research on this. My children were all born before 1974 when this regulation first appeared. They wore many of these flannel gowns without incident. The incident that caused some research and finally the regulation was 2 little girls playing in front of an open fireplace (no screen), the gowns caught fire and Mommy and Daddy were upstairs and did not hear the girls screaming. So the real problem here is watch your children and never have a fireplace without a screen in front for your own safety, your home's safety and your children's safety. I'm not sure why we have to have a negative reply to a joyful event.

cherylynne 01-01-2011 12:32 PM

Cute, cuddly and girly.

Cyn 01-01-2011 12:58 PM

Beautiful!

Grama Lehr 01-01-2011 01:12 PM

Your nightgowns are lovely!
The flame retardent fabric must be washed without soap or detergent to retain the coating, who does that?