Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The Great Turnip Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/great-turnip-challenge-t28774.html)

May in Jersey 11-15-2009 01:44 PM

We've been invited to my DIL's sister's new home in Delaware for Thanksgiving dinner. Hostess has issued a Turnip Challenge - each family is to bring a turnip dish and a prize will be awarded for the one voted best tasting. I usually just cook the turnips with a large white potato and mash them, add butter and seasoning but that's nothing really different or great. Love to hear how others make their turnips. May

PS. What I call a turnip is the one with the yellow flesh and is usually cover with wax.

SaraSewing 11-15-2009 02:03 PM

People actually eat turnips - on purpose!! :?

Lostn51 11-15-2009 02:05 PM

Ahhh real southern food!!!

I like them just cubed up and boiled with some fat back and a pinch of sugar.

Billy

pookie ookie 11-15-2009 02:12 PM

Turnip pie. Just pretend you're making sweet potato pie. I use cloves in my pies btw. Don't think it would work otherwise.

b.zang 11-15-2009 02:25 PM

Does it have to be just turnip? If not, here's one of my favourite recipes. Bonus, it's simple!

Oven Baked Winter Vegetables

8 peeled, sliced carrots
8 peeled, sliced parsnips
1 thinly sliced onion
1 cubed turnip
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp thyme
salt & pepper
1 cup shredded asiago cheese

Prepare vegetables and scatter in 9x13 baking pan. Mix chicken stock with cornstarch and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour over vegetables. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake at 400 for 1 hour. Remove foil. Sprinkle with asiago cheese and return to over just long enough to melt and lightly bubble the cheese (this may be done under the broiler).

The vegetables can be mixed up in your own preference of quantity/variety. Basically it's the asiago cheese that's the key to yummy!

Here's another:
Honey-glazed Carrots and Turnips
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2" diagonal slices
1 lb turnips, peeeld and cut into 1/2" wedges
2 tbsp honey
In large deep skillet over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar. Stir in tarragon, salt & pepper. Add carrots and turnips, drizzle with honey and toss to coat. Cover, cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Remove cover; cook, stirring occasionally until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender and golden brown, 10-15 minutes.

wvdek 11-15-2009 02:31 PM

Ok, now I'm hungry.

amma 11-15-2009 03:03 PM

I love this challenge!!! Your family sounds like a lot of fun :D :D :D

I love turnips and parsnips in soups, stews, and in just about anything!!! I will be keeping an eye on this post for more ideas!!! :wink:

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-15-2009 03:23 PM

I like purple turnips best. Just sliced thinly and salted which isn't really a dish. When I was a little kid my uncle used to carve them into drinking cups for me. You would get the kid vote with that, at least.

amma 11-15-2009 03:26 PM

What an awesome uncle!!! Isn't it great how when someone takes the time to do something novel like that, the memories last forever and so do the smiles whenever you are reminded of it?

Dix 11-15-2009 03:31 PM

My grandfather lived in the panhandle of Oklahoma. A neighbor raise really big turnips. The whole town would go and gather these. He would fix them many ways, but I loved them fried in butter with salt and pepper, like potatoes. i think he put some onion with them and tiny bit of sugar.....
Dix