Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   hand cross stitching what to use on back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hand-cross-stitching-what-use-back-t126277.html)

Elsie 05-28-2011 08:34 AM

hi i brought a JDNA cross stitching i got some fusible and ii wondering if i can use it on back of my cross stitching so the thread wont show through on front and also can yo just tear it around the stitches so it won't show through or how do you do it never use hand stitching on cloth before i can use all the help i can get

PaperPrincess 05-28-2011 08:41 AM

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but you can't tear fusible, because it's adhered to the fabric. Normally, you don't use interfacing to do hand cross stitch. Just stitch on the fabric using a hoop.

TonnieLoree 05-28-2011 08:46 AM

Make sure to bury the tails within the backs of the stitches and you should be fine.

QuiltnNan 05-28-2011 09:52 AM

burying the tails is right, but that is sometimes tricky depending where the space available is. years ago, i bought a kit to frame the xstitch... it had a sticky foam board like piece to press the xstitch to.

Elsie 05-28-2011 11:35 AM

so you are saying i don't have to use fusible or stabilizer on it doing it by hand

Kaz 05-29-2011 05:23 PM

No. just make sure your first few stitches go over 'the tail' to bury it and when finishing you weave it in and out of a few stitches on the back to anchor it in place. Once you have a few rows you don't see anything showing from the back :) This is the same for the aida or fabric. You will get better results generally if you hoop the work particularly if it is on fabric though, to keep it stretched and the tension the same and even. Hope this helps

Jingle 05-29-2011 06:53 PM

I have some counted cross stitch pictures I have thought about making into a quilt and thought about fusing it to a thin fabric, I gave several pictures to Goodwill yrs ago because I wasn't sure this would work. I Need to do something with these pictures.

dogpursemaker 05-29-2011 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would suggest that if you want/need to machine wash the cross stitched item to stitch it directly on fabric. You can buy waste canvas to put over the fabric. I will also suggest if you are stitching on a knit type fabric to be careful not to overstretch the fabric. The very first t-shirt I cross stitched was of an Appaloosa, and it turned out to be a "family" horse, meaning the entire family could fit on its verrry looong back. :lol:
If you will only need to hand wash it, the aida will be great. It's not the stitching that will fail in the washing machine, it's the aida. It is just too loose to withstand the machine. I've been hand cross stitching for over 20 years now, and have never backed my fabric with anything. I have a customer that has had a hand cross stitched tote bag for over eight years now and it still looks great! I see her with it at the shows all the time.
(The pug on the bag in my avatar is hand cross stitched on aida-the ponies on the shirt were hand stitched directly on the shirt.) ;)

ckcowl 05-30-2011 03:28 AM

are you cross stitching on Aida cloth? or on regular cotton fabric???
if using regular cotton fabric you can add a stablizer (i usually just use a square of muslin the size of my block- put in hoop behind the main fabric- i stitch through both layers- keeps any strings from showing through and adds a bit of stability.
i would not use a fusable- it would make it more difficult to stitch through- they tend to add stiffness.
if you are using Aida cloth (cross-stitch fabric) you do not need to add anything behind it before stitching- but can add a (back-lining) after stitching. Aida cloth is quite (firm) and should hold it's shape without adding a layer.
there are some stablizers that are water soluble---wash away- but they are used for machine embroidery---working by hand eliminates some of the problems you face when working with the machine.

Elsie 08-22-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
are you cross stitching on Aida cloth? or on regular cotton fabric???
if using regular cotton fabric you can add a stablizer (i usually just use a square of muslin the size of my block- put in hoop behind the main fabric- i stitch through both layers- keeps any strings from showing through and adds a bit of stability.
i would not use a fusable- it would make it more difficult to stitch through- they tend to add stiffness.
if you are using Aida cloth (cross-stitch fabric) you do not need to add anything behind it before stitching- but can add a (back-lining) after stitching. Aida cloth is quite (firm) and should hold it's shape without adding a layer.
there are some stablizers that are water soluble---wash away- but they are used for machine embroidery---working by hand eliminates some of the problems you face when working with the machine.

i am use cotton fabric thank you i didn't think of muslin and it would be cheaper i will do that the next time