Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Happy Rosh Hashanah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/happy-rosh-hashanah-t25711.html)

Lisanne 09-19-2009 10:45 AM

Happy Rosh Hashanah to any of you who celebrate the Jewish New Year!

(I know religious discussions are forbidden, but surely good wishes are allowed.)

patricej 09-20-2009 12:37 PM

and ... since it's a two-day holiday ...

'Shana Tova again!

:P

Lisanne 09-20-2009 05:21 PM

Very true and thank you!

I have a couple of New Year's Resolutions (yep, I make up a list now and again for January 1) but don't feel like starting that diet just yet. It occurs to me that I have until Yom Kippur (10 days, or is it 9 now?) to cast off my sins, so doesn't that mean I can goof off and repent then? Oh, I know that's not what it means. I definitely have the wrong attitude here. :wink:

Mousie 09-20-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Very true and thank you!

I have a couple of New Year's Resolutions (yep, I make up a list now and again for January 1) but don't feel like starting that diet just yet. It occurs to me that I have until Yom Kippur (10 days, or is it 9 now?) to cast off my sins, so doesn't that mean I can goof off and repent then? Oh, I know that's not what it means. I definitely have the wrong attitude here. :wink:

with that theory in mind...I have until January 1st...wow, a mouse could get into all kinds of trouble with time like that on her paws! :mrgreen:
Lisanne, - your so goofy! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

amma 09-21-2009 12:21 AM

Happy Rosh Hashanah :D :D :D

Bevanger 09-21-2009 05:07 AM

i'm not jewish, but Happy Rosh Hashanah everyone who is :wink:

Lisanne 09-21-2009 06:24 AM

Thanks, amma & beverly, for your good wishes! You don't have to be Jewish to wish someone a happy holiday, just like it doesn't have to be your birthday to wish someone a happy birthday.

quiltncrazy, no, you do not have until January 1 to get into trouble. The idea is to start being good on the New Year, yes, but January 1 doesn't have a Day of Atonement following it 10 days later, the way Rosh Hashanah does. So you be good!

And btw, Yom Kippur isn't for repenting for not keeping New Year's resolutions. You spend the ten days between the Jewish New Year and Yom Kippur asking forgiveness from all the people you've sinned against during the past year, fast on the actual day and somewhere in there cast off your sins and begin anew, cleansed. I really was misusing it when I said it gave me more time to screw up. Like you said, goofy!

amma 09-21-2009 10:46 AM

I have the same line of thinking...saying "Happy Rosh Hashanah" to you is no different than you wishing me a "Merry Christmas" or a Merry, Happy holiday for any religion:wink: :D

Thank you for the descriptions, too! I love to learn about other's religious holidays, history behind them, it is very interesting to me :D

Mousie 09-21-2009 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Thanks, amma & beverly, for your good wishes! You don't have to be Jewish to wish someone a happy holiday, just like it doesn't have to be your birthday to wish someone a happy birthday.

quiltncrazy, no, you do not have until January 1 to get into trouble. The idea is to start being good on the New Year, yes, but January 1 doesn't have a Day of Atonement following it 10 days later, the way Rosh Hashanah does. So you be good!

And btw, Yom Kippur isn't for repenting for not keeping New Year's resolutions. You spend the ten days between the Jewish New Year and Yom Kippur asking forgiveness from all the people you've sinned against during the past year, fast on the actual day and somewhere in there cast off your sins and begin anew, cleansed. I really was misusing it when I said it gave me more time to screw up. Like you said, goofy!

Mousie, doesn't get a FREE ticket? doggone!:?
I guess I'll have to blame it on my ancestors.
I agree with Amma, these things are interesting.
I've heard these sayings, before, but never knew what they meant.
I guess I'll just have to keep walking that cheese line...um, chalk line :mrgreen:

Lisanne 09-21-2009 05:45 PM

Mousie, no one gets a free ticket. I was being bad.

Amma, you're exactly right, it's the same as me wishing you a Merry Christmas, Happy Kwaanza, or a Happy Diwali (a festive Indian holiday).

I like learning about other people's customs, too. I'm not a great one to explain Jewish ones actually, since I'm not really observant. (You could tell, right?)