Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hatfield McCoy feud story (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hatfield-mccoy-feud-story-t190229.html)

lynn_z 05-28-2012 11:18 AM

Hatfield McCoy feud story

I need to read this book! The Coffin Quilt: The Feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys (1999) The Coffin Quilt is a novel by Ann Rinaldi that was first published in 1999. Set in Kentucky, it tells the story of the Hatfield-McCoy feud in the late 19th century through the eyes of Fanny, a young female member of the McCoy family. Choosing between family and what is right is one of the major decisions Fanny McCoy has to make. When the McCoys decide to wage a war against a rival family, the Hatfields, things start to get out of hand; four of her brothers are killed by Hatfields.

delma_paulk 05-28-2012 11:55 AM

This story will begin for three nights tonight at 9 p.m. on A&E I think; The Hatfields and McCoys, stars Kevin Costner.

jeank 05-28-2012 12:06 PM

I love Ann Rinaldi books. She writes YA, but doesnt write down to teens. Very adult and interesting.
I cant remember if I have read this one, I guess it is time to check it out. Thanks for mentioning it.

bjrusty 05-28-2012 02:15 PM

I hope I can stay awake to watch the movie. Barb

Greenheron 05-28-2012 02:40 PM

If you can find it, the movie Matewan is a decent bit of the history of the area (WV--Kentucky border) that includes Sid Hatfield of the feuding family and the terrible conditions coal miners and their families endured and ultimately fought against.

Another movie is Roseanna McCoy that came out in 1949 and is set in the nineteenth century.

sandilee 05-28-2012 02:46 PM

I preset my dvr player Friday night when I heard this was going to be on. It runs in 5 parts.

NanaCsews2 05-28-2012 03:58 PM

The Hatfields and McCoys will be on the History Channel here if you have Charter Cable at 8 pm Central time

Sheila_H 05-28-2012 05:13 PM

I have it scheduled to record to DVR as well when it's over a long time frame I like to record it so I can fast forward through all of the commercials! It looks like it should be interesting from the promos I've seen I don't think there are many that haven't heard the term feuding like the Hatfields & McCoys.

grannypjb 05-29-2012 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H (Post 5249876)
I have it scheduled to record to DVR as well when it's over a long time frame I like to record it so I can fast forward through all of the commercials! It looks like it should be interesting from the promos I've seen I don't think there are many that haven't heard the term feuding like the Hatfields & McCoys.

I live in West Virginia and have always been interested in our states history. I have read The Coffin Quilt and I think you all will enjoy the story. Also, I am old enough to have seen the movie, Rosanna McCoy. The premier was held in Wheeling where I live. Farley Granger was the main actor and was there. My sister and I walked out of the theater with him. What a memory!

marymay 05-29-2012 06:43 AM

Please don't tell me what happens. I have it taped. My husband is gone on Military duty. :-( Will be home soon. :-)He made me promise not to watch until he gets home. Sister told me this morning that it is good.