Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you been to Savannah Ga (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-been-savannah-ga-t133030.html)

wvhill22 06-25-2011 07:12 AM

Hubby and I are going to Savannah in a few weeks. Anyone have any ideas on a great place to stay and what we should see while there and of course any great quilt shops to go to? Someone told us stay on river street. We would like to be in walking distance to everything

jeanequilts 06-25-2011 07:23 AM

Definitely take one of the tours. I also read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" on the plane (Very unusual book, if you haven't read it. It is a true story.). Then we got to see the actual places in the book when we were there. We didn't eat at Paula Dean's restaurant because my husband doesn't like to wait in lines, but there are tons of great restaurants there. We stayed on the main street at the Double Tree, but after the first night requested a room on the back side of the building because of the street noise. They were very accommodating. I wasn't a quilter then, so I can't direct you to any quilt stores. I'd love to go back there. There is no architecture like it in the U.S. You might want to read about the history of Savannah before you go.

sewgull 06-25-2011 07:28 AM

Savannah is a beautiful city with so history. Take tour , the river dinner cruise Tybee Island.

bjeriann 06-25-2011 07:38 AM

I will bookmark this thread. DH and I are going in October for our 28th anniversary. We want to go on one of the haunted tours and a carriage ride. He plans on playing golf while I go to quilt shops. But would love to hear about other stuff too.

fayzer 06-25-2011 11:32 AM

Do the tours, go to the River Street (cobblestones, don't wear heels), Paddle wheel boats, lighthouses.Don't miss the open air market. There are so many fabulous restaurants, you will have a hard time choosing.

Ann L 06-25-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Savannah is a beautiful city with so history. Take tour , the river dinner cruise Tybee Island.

Definitely. Our kids live there and we go to Tybee Island everytime we go visit. Lots of history there. You will like it, but it will be HOT!

fayedear 06-25-2011 12:19 PM

We have been there. Definately take the riding tours. You may get off anywhere along the route then back on another one. We had "Forrest Gump" ride ours...So much fun. I didn't look for quilt shops at that time. Sorry. I want to return some day..

Vicki W 06-25-2011 01:37 PM

AJ's on Tybee has wonderful seafood and a nice patio area. I would avoid on weekends however, because there is often a lengthy wait.

wvhill22 06-26-2011 08:07 AM

thank you. We have our reservations made and I will be sure to do one of the tours

QUILTNMO 06-26-2011 09:56 AM

maybe check out paula deens place hear it has great food