Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hello again! It's been awhile, a couple of questions for you :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hello-again-its-been-awhile-couple-questions-you-t180470.html)

Quiltforme 02-24-2012 12:41 AM

Hello again! It's been awhile, a couple of questions for you :)

I have been off the site for a while we lost our home and I sort of lost it. We are now in a better place and I have just started to quilt again I took 8 months off after depression set in. I stopped the board too because of the issues I was having, I cannot tell you how much I missed everyone. And to those who sent items and well wishes thank you so much they really meant a lot. I have a coin purse that I keep around as a reminder of the many caring people on this board!

I just started quilting again and wow I am no longer so anal about things!!! I did some free motion on my machine and it was the best I have ever done. I guess when you stop worrying about how it will look it turns out pretty good :)

One of my questions is I just purchased an Accuquilt Go! I tried to find some threads on here about the Go! but I have had no luck. I have not used it yet just received it yesterday and wondered if there are any tips/tricks out there. I have about 15 dies and cannot wait to really get using it.

My other question is I am working on a queen size French Braid that will include an applique silhouette of an Eagle soaring (the eagle will be about 3 feet wide and tall) 1) since this is a queen size quilt do you think the eagle should be as big it would take up most of the top what do you think would be a good size?. 2) I have never done an applique and would like to just do a raw edge with a lot of detail decoration on it good or bad idea (meaning not folding under the edges)?? Any advice? I have never been so frustrated with a quilt I have finally started cutting it today. I have changed the fabric 5 times in the last 2 weeks (complete change of 12 fabrics ok this is not bad I have added to my stash LOL)
Thank you in advance for your help I cannot wait to get back on here!

nativetexan 02-24-2012 06:22 AM

So glad to have you back and that things are better now. I know you are happy to be quilting again. On the applique, the eagle can be as large as you like. Being a Queen size, it doesn't really have to fill the whole bed top. maybe that would be too big. needle turn or raw edge is fine but you could also use a light weight fusible and fuse the sections down and then sew the edges. just be sure it is fusible you can sew through. good luck!!

bj 02-24-2012 06:37 AM

Hi and welcome back!

Jingle 02-24-2012 06:03 PM

Glad to have you back, Sorry for the house issues. Can't help with the Go, I decided it was too expensive. I don't think a real large eagle on a quilt would look that great. Maybe a wall hanging if you have a large wall. Just my opinion.

TanyaL 02-24-2012 06:14 PM

Obviously you like the idea of an eagle or you wouldn't have chosen it for your quilt, so go for it!
with it that large I wouldn't have a lot of other detail in the other blocks, maybe save everything else for the borders - but that's just me. It might not be you at all. Whatever you do, please send pictures for us. What colors are you using?

nise 02-24-2012 06:27 PM

sorry to hear about your house, and glad you back, do you need anything, let me know. just pm me.

Sandra in Minnesota 02-24-2012 06:36 PM

So glad to see you back and doing a lot better.

karenpatrick 02-24-2012 06:54 PM

Glad you are back. If there is anything I can do, PM me.

Dolphyngyrl 02-24-2012 09:18 PM

Welcome back, don't have a go but hope you enjoy your new toy

paulettepoe 02-25-2012 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jump right in with your GO. I love mine, it saves so much time. You can use their patterns. I have the basic dies. I am not a applique person, so I got the strips, square and tumbler dies and use them alot.. One piece of advice I might give is, it says 8-9 layers. I only do about 6. I think its less stress on the machine, and certainly is easier to crank.