Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   HELP; we need to make an adult robin (bird) costume! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help%3B-we-need-make-adult-robin-bird-costume-t131228.html)

shawnemily 06-17-2011 11:45 AM

We need the help of the smartest seamstresses in the world and we all know that would be all of you!!!!

My daughters garden club needs a costume for the 4th of July (yes... the one that is only 2 weeks away!!! LOL) Does anyone have an idea on how to make one?

thanks in advance; cuz I KNOW you will come up with an answer for us! :):):)

erstan947 06-17-2011 11:52 AM

That is way over my head. Good Luck!

dd 06-17-2011 12:01 PM

I made a penguin one time but not sure I even made it in 2 weeks. Have a costume shop close by that you could rent one? Check out some of the costume shops online.

How intricate do you want this? Guess you could go with cardboard and tissue paper for wings. Foam for feet, tights for skinny legs. Or do you want a paper mache head that fits over the wearers head?

shawnemily 06-17-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dd
I made a penguin one time but not sure I even made it in 2 weeks. Have a costume shop close by that you could rent one? Check out some of the costume shops online.

How intricate do you want this? Guess you could go with cardboard and tissue paper for wings. Foam for feet, tights for skinny legs. Or do you want a paper mache head that fits over the wearers head?

Great ideas! we want to keep it simple. Nothing too extravagant. I was thinking along the lines of a cape and stitching together on the sides to make the wings. She will be tossing gummy worms to the children along the parade route! :) :)

eastermarie 06-17-2011 01:10 PM

Will the gummy worms be wrapped? The little kids will have to be excellent catchers it not. How much of the robin will show? I made several bird costumes for a second grade PTO program. The children wore turtle necks and shorts the color of the chest of the bird, and tights for the bird's legs. I made a cape with a hooded top and added a tail at the center back. The hood came down to the bridge of the nose and I sewed on a beak. the wings were tapered out to the back in big scallops. I used some very thin polyster suede type cloth for the capes. The hoods tied under the chin, and an elastic wrist loop was sewn near the tip of the wing for the hands to slip through. I don't know if any of this makes sense. but it worked very nicely.

shawnemily 06-17-2011 01:16 PM

Thank you eastermarie!! Great ideas and yes the gummy worms are each individually wrapped. And they look like REAL worms!!! LOL Those were the 2 criteria my daughter was looking for. She said it was hard to find the individual wrapped but she did!! It is a very small town and they do a great job with their parades, events etc.

dd 06-17-2011 01:23 PM

Gummy worms, that's a great idea. Face paint is easier than a mask and she can see better. How about an XXlarge brown sweatshirt and sew a piece of orange fabric down the front for the "red breast" with the tights and put some stuffing inside for the "breast". Strap a bed pillow to her, hang it from her shoulders. Make an elastic X so it goes from L shoulder to under R arm and vice versa. Sorry, thinking while I'm typing. Make the cardboard wings so she can flap them, put a handle on the inside. Duct tape is your friend. Use craft foam, all different colors and comes in large sheets, to make feet, covers for the shoes. Tape them on and under the shoes. The beak can be the same foam. Hang a gummy from the beak.lol Cardboard wings with tissue paper cut out feathers glued on, dble sided tape, or cut tissue paper is squares, ball up and attach to wings. Strap across chest and across back to hang wings. Can't think, something firm but flexible so wings could be attached to her hands but can still bend her arms instead of cardboard. Foam backed fabric. Not sure how expensive that is but Joann sells it. You know I need to see this when you are finished. Whatever you decided to do, pics are a must!lol

shawnemily 06-17-2011 01:38 PM

OMGoodness dd you are soo clever!!! Of course everyone giggled on the gummy from the beak part!!!
Thank you soo much!!!!