Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help! Christmas tree sap on my down parka! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-christmas-tree-sap-my-down-parka-t33644.html)

jdavis 01-09-2010 07:58 AM

Does anybody have any pointers on how to get sap off my coat? I also got it on my blue jeans. The parka is washable, NOT dry cleanable. I wondered about Goo Gone, which I have in the house. I also wonder about the orange hand cleaner, which has some grittiness to it.
Thank you all for any input you might have!

watterstide 01-09-2010 08:22 AM

not sure..lighter fluid maybe..have you asked a dry cleaners about what they would use?

JJs 01-09-2010 08:22 AM

I was gonna say goo gone - try in an inside spot first to make sure IT won't leave a stain....

watterstide 01-09-2010 08:26 AM

i have read about hand sanitizer,goof off,rubbing alcohol and or the tree sap remover you use on cars.."bug off"? of course,try it on a spot that won't show..Good luck and let us know what worked for you!

fireworkslover 01-09-2010 09:16 AM

Try acetone or fingernail polish remover (that's acetone). That's what I use when I get it on me from the Christmas tree.

jdavis 01-09-2010 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone,
My DH "googled" it this morning, and found the hand sanitizer idea. Eureka! You apply it liberally, work it in (use a soft toothbrush on tough spots), rinse and dry. It worked like a dream! I am waiting to see if there are any residual signs of the cleaning on the parka (after it dries completely) before I go through the trouble of actually laundering the whole thing. I need some tennis balls for the dryer when I do that, and I don't have any on hand.
Thanks for all your input!

mic-pa 01-09-2010 06:05 PM

to get tree sap off your hands you can use peanut butter. Rub is on liberally and it works great. It might work on your parka

Elisabrat 01-09-2010 06:11 PM

lol peanut butter gets sap out of your hair too extremely well, this I know because while I watched my friend sheer her sheep I stood right under that lovely pine tree.. sap central. I was horrified then her husband said come here.. slapped Peanut butter on my hair (to my horror also) and low and behold instant presto my hair was untangled. They used it on their kids for gum. Duh. so did I. (2 and 2 are not always four if I have anything to do with it)

Debra Mc 01-09-2010 06:39 PM

I have used PineSol cleaner to get sap off stuff before. Works pretty good too.

gaigai 01-09-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jdavis
Does anybody have any pointers on how to get sap off my coat? I also got it on my blue jeans. The parka is washable, NOT dry cleanable. I wondered about Goo Gone, which I have in the house. I also wonder about the orange hand cleaner, which has some grittiness to it.
Thank you all for any input you might have!

j, I once got deck sealer all over the leg of a pair of peach-colored pants, then had to wear them until they dried. When I got home, I used a spray and wash stain stick on BOTH sides of the fabric, and worked it in really well with a toothbrush. I let it sit for at least an hour (overnight actually), then took some Wisk and worked that in with a toothbrush. Then I washed it in hot water, and every single bit came out. I am a firm believer in the stain stick and Wisk. As a nurse, I get lots of er, body fluids and stuff on my scrubs, and I've never found another detergent that works as well. Good luck!